Jabao wp-40 - Help new question #37

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by oldfishkeeper, Sep 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

well, I'll be darned.....so, now what do I do???

2. Click Here!

3. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Correct flow is very hard to define,especially in a mixed reef as there are so many factors.Tank dimensions,type and placement of corals,amount of rock and the scape.....ect.My own .02,you should try to purchase a wb25 rather then a wb40.You can try one and maybe also use a koralia (which you already have) along with it.If you really like the wb25 and think you could use more flow you can just get another.I really think that you wouldn't be happy with the size and strength (sand storm) of the wb40.

1 person likes this.
  4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

The Jebao's are WP's not WB's.

I agree with sailorguy, the physical size of the 40 really turned me off then the fact I couldn't find a good direction to aim it even when set on its lowest 50% speed setting without mounding up my DSB sealed it and my tank is 5 feet long not 4. I'm still only running the two 25's at 75% so far and may never increase it to 100%.

1 person likes this.
  5. oldfishkeeper

well, I sent an email to fish-street hoping to cancel the 40....hope I get a response :) it did indicate that shipping would take some time so hopefully I can get the order changed before it ships (fingers crossed)

6. kn70122

kn70122 Plankton

Thanks a lot for the awesome explanation. I'm attaching the pic of my pump here but interestingly, I can't find the model any where on the internet. Hope you can help me out with this. I'm setting up my sump this weekend.
    Off-topic question: my tank is still cycling in its 10th day. I've been watching for all the parameters. Everything seems normal except the last 2 days that I had a sky niTRAte spike, like 80 ppm. I don't find it's logic because the Ammonia went down from around 1ppm-0.25ppm. Nitrite stayed the same at 5ppm. Is this normal or something is going on in my tank? I've been dosing my tank with fish food and LR (around 60lb), the Ammonia has been around 1-2 ppm in the 1st week of the cycle but dropped down to 0 yesterday. Can i just dose it back to 1 or 2ppm with the 10% Ammonia from ACE hardware? I've found a lot of coralline algae developing on the LR in the last 2 days too. Will adding Ammonia kill the algae? I just also buy some dry rock from a LFS, I don't think I will have the means to cook it, can i just add it all to the tank along with the LR I already have? I know I'm asking too much but I've been posting questions every where but got no response. Thanks in advance.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

7. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I don't see your pump anywhere either but CoralVue- Lighting & Aquarium Products is the distributor for Octopus pumps in the US. That pump is basically a clone to the Ocean Runner 6500 I believe, I know the smaller Octopus pumps are just like the 2500 and 3500 in all respects.

If your nitrates are rising your initial cycle is about over and your nitrobacter and nitrosonomas bacteria are multiplying. The ammonia is converted to nitrites which is then converted to nitrates which you will then start doing water changes to lower and start adding you clean up crew and first hardy inhabitants.

I would not add any more ammonia if your nitrates are rising and others are falling or non detectable.

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

ok, wouldn't it just be that I was too late to cancel my order. This is what they said,
    "It's too late on the order, the item is already send out, if you want to change wp25, only can when you got the item and return back to us to exchange

Or you can order the 12 24 Power supply to change the flow

12V to 24V Power Supply for Jebao WP-40 Replacement Pump

Any suggestions on what to do? One of the issues that I'll have is that shipping costs so much so I'm sure I'll have to pay shipping to return and then shipping to get the replacement....ugh! Should I just try out the 40? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Just try out the 40. It could work out just fine depending on how much rock you have, how fine your sand is, and where you aim it.

11. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Well,your going to be receiving it so at least you'll be seeing it firsthand and will be able to decide if you would like a pump that large in your tank.If you think you might want to keep it unpackage it carefully and give it a try.If you hate it rinse it off and pack it back up!

12. oldfishkeeper

Yes, I think I'll at least take a look at it and probably try it out. Of course, I need a tank to put it in lol......our carpenter friend was MIA this past weekend, sooo....not sure what's going on with that. I know the stand is built but I'm thinking my revised plan of set up this weekend may not be panning out.

If it isn't going to work, I could put it up on sale here right? ;)