I've emptied my tank from fishes .. what to do to cure it from ich ?(something else i

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by minajaguar, Jul 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. minajaguar

minajaguar Spaghetti Worm

I've emptied my tank from fishes .. what to do to cure it from ich ? (fish only tank)
    (something else instead of leave it 6-8 weeks to complete cycle)
    cause i want to add fishes immediately???
    i intend to empty it from water and add hot water only to the level of the sand to burn any parasite in substrate and leave the tank 2 days waterless then start it over .... what do u think ????

i want something instead than waiting and i don't care about bacteria.

My procedure to get rid of ich disease :
    i emptied my tank and intend to start it over
    so i empty it from water and then i add a 40 c degree temp fresh water to cover only the sand ,i guess it may burn ich in sand ????
    then now i will remove all water from the tank and let it to dry ... i guess also that ich can't survive without water ????

then i will start it again but without removing the sand i tried to burn it and cover with fresh water to get rid of ich

What do you think about this steps while i know that i will lose great of my beneficial bacteria ,but i have no choice because i suck from ich 2 months ago with no use >>>>

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

You'll have to let it run it's course now. Do you have any corals in the tank? If you do, then wait at least 8 weeks with no fish, 10 to be certain, so that the parasite will complete it's cycle and won't have any fish to restart the process again. If you add any medications you risk killing bacterial colonies used for nitrification. Best to just leave the tank empty for 10 weeks IMO.

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

You really need to read up on the cycling process. You need bacteria to run a saltwater tank. If you add boiling hot water to your sand to kill off stuff, then you're going to have a tank full of dead, rotting sand creatures and will not be able to put anything in the tank for months, if ever. There is no quick fix in this hobby. If you want to start over, empty the tank completely, sterilize the tank, buy new sand and start the cycling process all over again.

5. jlongwell

jlongwell Spaghetti Worm

You should probably learn to care about the bacteria - they are, after all, the only thing standing between your fish thriving happily and your fish swimming in a pool of their own excrement.

Really, the best way is to wait. As far as I know the only other tried and true methods of killing Ich are hyposalinity (which is done with only fish in the tank and, for all I know, may not even kill the parasite) or Copper, which will kill pretty much any non-fish organism in the tank (snails, coral, crabs, etc).

6. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

if u use copper in the tank you will never be able to put any inverts in it. just start over. empty tank. get new sand. new rock. thats the only impatient way to do it.

7. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

sorry bud, no magic answer from me either. but, if you're in a hurry the fastest way, as mentioned above is to just "state over". new sand, new rock, new water, etc. and recycle. add some "bottled bacteria" to "speed up" the cycle if you wish. but, in this hobby there is usually never a magic cure!

8. Click Here!

9. scadsobees

scadsobees Fire Shrimp

I think freshwater kills ich too. I would be careful pouring too hot of water into your aquarium. But what you describe will probably do the trick. Just let it sit and rinse everything a few times.

Then you'll need to re-cyle your tank.

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

You're either waiting for your tank to cycle again (by doing what you suggested) or waiting for the ich to cycle, take your pick. One way doesn't cure your ich problem. No disrespect, but you really need to do a lot of reading and have some patience. You're not going to fix your ich issues without either.