Ivan's Planted 40 Breeder

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by irr0001, Aug 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

Hey everyone. I finally got some water in my tank after taking all the live rock and sand out a couple weeks ago. Here's what it looks like ATM.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still not sure what fish I'm going to keep in there. I have 2 bluegill that I snatched from the pond yesterday in the tank right now. Any suggestions on that subject would be greatly appreciated.

I have 2x39w T5's and a Fluval 305. I also have a CO2 system and my AquaController Jr. left over from my reef that I am going to utilize. I'll post more pictures when I get my first order of plants in. I just grabbed a few at the lfs today to add some color.

Ivan

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Good start

Tetras, danios, barbs, rams, small gouramis would all be good, with a couple of corydoras for janitors and siamese algae eaters for algae control.

4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Great start! That's going to be really pretty. I've been having the hankering to set up a planted FW recently.

Gouramis are really cute. I also really like killifish.

2 people like this.
  5. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

Thanks! You should. I'm kind of over gouramis. I've had them too many times. I like the killfish though. They kind of remind me of firefish.

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Killifish are so pretty and come in so many varieties! And they are peaceful, which is always a plus. Also, I don't think they are that common (I've never seen them in person), so you would have something different, which is fun.

7. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I find it interesting, another Reefer that has decided to go with a fresh water tank. I have had fish tanks for almost 40 years, mostly fresh but have had salt since about 1984.

I have had the nurge for the last 3 or 4 or 4 months to set up a tank just like that one and am getting ready to pull the trigger. Going to be a really nice tank, keep up the post so we can see it evolve.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

Don't get me wrong..I absolutely hated dumping out all of the saltwater! But I have never done a larger planted tank and it will be a new learning experience. In the past I have just tossed some plants in a 10 gallon. This one I am going to do right. I still have my mantis tank to cure my itch though. Thanks for looking! I'll be sure to post more pictures as it progresses.

1 person likes this.
  10. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

My first shipment of plants is coming in tomorrow. I'll put up some pictures as soon as I get them in.

I'm going to Atlanta on Friday afternoon with a friend. He's real into cichlids and knows some good freshwater stores. Hopefully I'll come back with some fish.

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I hope so!! I'm ready to see some pretty fish in there!!

12. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

A couple more pics. I received a few plants in the mail the other day.

I still haven't gotten any permanent fish. The bream are getting boring. They just hide out all day. Gonna have to drop a jig in there and get them out pretty soon lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ivan