It's been awhile

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by scajeo, Dec 30, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

It's been a bit since I've been on and thought I'd swing by to say hi and give an update.

The center brace on my 210 gave way and fell into the aquarium. Some of you might recall that this is an inwall system and it sits between two rooms. One of the aquarium walls bowed really bad and broke the molding around the aquarium, panic set in. I picked up a 30g and hooked it up to the sump and put some fish in it and sent the rest back to the fish store. Which, btw, NO credit of any kind but happily accepted everything i gave him. Sent my corals and some of the clean up crew to my brothers house for his tank.
    Local fish guy, whom I purchased my entire system from and have spent a large sum of coin wouldn't lift a finger to help me other than give me the number of the manufacturer. Personally I would of thought he'd of at least called the company for me but that's another story.
    Company is sending me some GE 1201 (i think that's what it is) and directions to fix my tank without having to remove it from the wall.
    Live rock is cooking but what can I do with the sand substrate? It needs to be cleaned really bad. I've heard mixed reviews about bleach but that doesn't take out the PH. Is it better to just start over with new sand?

Since the tank is down I figured I'm going to do some remodeling of my system so it's going to be a few months before everything is back up and running.

Any suggestions on what to do with cleaning the sand?

Scott

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Good to see you back man but sorry for the loss and hardship. I would save some sand, rinse it in saltwater and keep it to seed new sand. I can't wait to see your tank back up and running.

Lovemyreef2015 and scajeo like this.
  4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

welcome back scajo and sorry about the troubles....definitely just get new sand throw out the old with a saved cup. I wish you luck on the rebuild!

DSC reef and scajeo like this.
  5. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

Thnx! It's been a really rough last half year and this tank just added to it. I'll keep just a little bit and dump the rest.

DSC reef likes this.
  6. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

sorry man, i wish you all the luck.

DSC reef likes this.
  7. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

thnx.... it'll come back, bigger and better

DSC reef and chum like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

Does anyone know who does the $1 a gallon and when do they usually do that sale?

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Petco but it's usually for 55gallon tanks or less.I don't think they have any set schedule for the sale.

scajeo and DSC reef like this.
  11. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

Thnx Vinny. Yeah, I'm looking for a 50g to make a new sump, the one I have is to small and might as well upgrade it while i'm in limbo.

DSC reef likes this.
  12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

A 40 breeder would make a roomy sump.