its been a week

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by new2salt2, Mar 12, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

ya i understand that about needing 2 tests, but here is the deal with my LFS. they dont test their water at all. I asked and they only use the DI filter and add calc and stontium to tanks every other day. I looked for a calcium test and they didnt have any there. told me they dont stock them. When asked why he dont test for it he told me that he dont fix what aint broke.

i took their water and tested it when i brought my coral back. It tested at like 440-460. i have been using test to test water and such and get same readings when testing tap water, DI water, Mixed water and etc. each test varies for type of water testing but always is consistant. I do think my test is accurate tho. I did add an alk additive to get the calc to precipitate, but plan on stopping if corals make it through the night.

after water change of 2.5 gal and adding alk additive my water calc went from 575 to about 490-500PPM so something is working. even if oxygen is not needed it adds a flare right now in the tank.

thanks for all the help guys ill keep you posted in AM when i check on them.

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Great news about the calcium coming down. add some more alk today and it should drop down to 450. what is your ALK test reading right now?

As far as your LFS where are you located? city? I think I would look for another LFS.
    If one dose not test then supplement then they are gambling with the live stock in the tank.

He should change the LFS name to Roll The Dice. :'(

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

So are you getting DI water from this LFS?

I would suspect the water source if this is a true cal reading I for one would not use it as there is no telling the purity of it. If it has Calcium in it then it may have cooper and other heavy metals in it or he is selling you tap water and says it is DI filtered.
    Craig has hit the nail on the head here when saying you need a complete test of that water.

Try a poly filter and see how fast it changes color
    [​IMG]

I think you need some karma!

5. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

OH yesterday i also added some Phosguard to my filter so that too might be the problem. As far as the water he has your standard "Tap Filter" DI filter. i have seen it and it uses carbon then a flter pad and into the DI chimical. I talked to someother fish peeps in the store and that all they use to filter as well and we all have the same water source. i might have also just got a bad batch of Coral. I looked at them last night and they all balled up, but so far this morning they are open. Am going to test water now.

Oh BTW..no copper in my water..

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

[quote author=new2salt2 link=board=General;num=1079115741;start=30#33 date=03/14/04 at 10:07:19]so far this morning they are open.    

Oh BTW..no copper in my water..[/quote]
    Great news!

7. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

My LFS also does not supp w/CA or anything else I asked him why And the answer he gave me was " I dont keep any corals long enough to need to add supps"
    I tested his h2o for CA and it was 360 ppm

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

At 360ppm of CA it may negatively affect the LFS' corals while in his tank. Just a thought.

10. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

OH yesterday i also added some Phosguard to my filter so that too might be the problem.

That will not cause any problem with calcium, but it does release Aluminium into the water, which can affect some corals. Some corals just don't like this stuff.

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Interesting Boomer

12. tdevil

tdevil Feather Duster

why, hello, Boomer

N2S, glad to here that the tank is starting to come around

td