It is time... :(

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by artur, Mar 28, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. artur

artur Fire Shrimp

So after 10 years I decided to sell my 125 mixed reef tank. I'm so busy and little tired. I will stay in the hobby tho... I'd like to set up 40 gal. Breeder instead. I have new that I bought on 1$ per gallon sale few months ago. My question is how would you guys set it? I want simple as it can be but also right. Would you drilled it or use overflow with sump. Or just do HOB filter. It would be again Mixed Reef. Please help me get this done. Thanks in advance. ..

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

For a mixed reef, I'd definitely recommend a sump. Since the tank is still empty, drilling would be your best option.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

^ yeah I agree, in long run that will be less work and give you more alternatives.

Forty gallon breeder is an excellent option, tons of great scape choices.

You had/have such a nice mixed reef, you're going to want to have some options with regard to a skimmer or fuge or just sump. I do not think you'll be happy with a HOB filtration for long.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  5. artur

artur Fire Shrimp

Ok. I thought drilling would be the best option. But do you guys have an idea what do I need. 1 or 2 drains and 1 return? How big? Where I can get like a blueprint, where exact location for them. Like everyone I'd like to keep system as quiet as possible. What's the best place to buy plumbing? Hoses, bulkheads etc. Thanks for all help. I really appreciate it

6. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Amazon is a great resource for plumbing parts if you know what you are looking for. I would look at Todd Sails post for his drain, so you don't have to worry about getting your floor wet.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

If you got the tank from petco then most likely it's tempered glass and I would not attempt to drill that. An overflow will be a better option if that's the case. There will be a sticker on the bottom of the tank that says tempered glass. If it's not then drill away because a sump is the best option no matter how you get there;)

8. Click Here!

9. artur

artur Fire Shrimp

I went back to Petco. On 40 gal breeder sticker is only on the bottom. 55 and bigger sticker says all glass are tempered. Anything smaller then 40 gal no tempered glass. Employees of course weren't sure. That's what I found at the store. One person looked online and found out what I said before. Brand of that tank is Tetra. If you guys know more please let me know. I will be drilling on Tuesday. I will search online too. If it brakes I'll order from Glasscages.com 50 gal RR for 230$

10. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

sorry to hear about the 125, i have two tanks and little time to work on them so i know how you feel. i want to convert the two into a 125 or 180 and can only hope it will look as good as yours did !