Is your power protected?!

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Michaelr5, Nov 7, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Trickman2

Trickman2 Bristle Worm

Yes I have a GFI and I tiled my Floor and as a Added bonus I sealed the dry Wall and with some Cement backer board and siliconed and then put molding over.

2. Click Here!

3. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

I can't even imagine having a tank and not having the floor tiled. I guess I'm just too messy! I like the idea you came up with for the wall!

Cindy

4. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

I'm adding 2 20 amp GFI lines right from the breaker box for the 300. I'm currently running a extension cord with GFI. I have another extension with GFI for the 72. Nope on the 55 hospital or the office tank. They both have standard breakers. I really should address those.

5. boostenmkiv

boostenmkiv Flamingo Tongue

Gfci

I will have to agree 100% with this thread, I thankfully listened to someone who suggested a GFCI outlet where my tank accessories were plugged into. Yesterday morning on my way out the door to work (already running late) I noticed that my water level was higher than normal. I looked at my CPR overflow as the first culprit and that actually looked pretty good, then I noticed that one of my hoses for my aqua lifter pump for the siphon was very dark and it turns out it was clogged WITH cyano! GRRR (another story in itself)...I unplugged this line not thinking and it broke my overflow and before I could shut off my sump pump the tank overflowed slightly and onto a powerstrip...immediately all power shut off as the GFCI tripped. This im sure saved me a lot of money and headache...I wish I could remember who it was that told me to do it..I owe them :)

6. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Mail your check to: Jim, in Sunny but recently cold FLorida :)
    j/k I am glad that it saved your pumps and lights. I had a powerstrip get salt creep on it from a return line and it started smoking from a very high resistance connection between the hot leg and the ground. Plastic is real nasty when it smokes. I am glad that we were at home when it happened. It could have easily gotten out of control... It also made me rethink about powerstrip placement. Unfortunately most of the powerhead cords are too short. Maybe we could start a new thread and take pictures of our wiring spaghetti nightmares behind or around our tanks...

Jim