Is your power protected?!

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Michaelr5, Nov 7, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Its funny you guys mention this subject. I need to get some of these. I have been shock 3 times from my fish tank mishaps. One day I may not be so lucky as I have been. The only reason I havn't got any is because I will need six of them with all my tanks. What can I say I'm cheap :-/ Maybe its time to get them before I burn the place down. I should stop saying "ahh It's only 110."

FWIW, Code in my city requires GFCI outlets in all bathrooms. I believe most if not all new homes are built with them anyway.

2. Click Here!

3. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Oh yeah, Water/Saltwater is actually a poor conductor of electricity.

4. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

somethingfishy:
    Unless you have six different circuits from the breaker box to your equipment, you should be able to get by with a GFCI breaker installed at the breaker panel.

BTW:

This quote was taken from the following site:http://www.vims.edu/bridge/archive0905.html (vims = Virginia Institute of Marine Science)

"Water, regardless of whether it is fresh or saline, serves as one of the best electrical conductors on the planet. Conductivity is the measure of how well a material transports an electric charge. The components of water, known as constituents, and their amount, will determine how good of a conductor water will be. Electrolytes, such as calcium, sulfates, and bicarbonates will all change the speed at which electricity can move through the water. Salt water, which contains high concentrations of sodium (Na+) and chloride (Cl-), has a substantially greater ability to conduct electricity than freshwater, and thus, a much higher conductivity. Conductivity is also correlated with water temperature. As the water temperature increases by 1ºC, conductivity increases by approximately 1.9%. "

5. Area 51 Exotics

Area 51 Exotics 3reef Sponsor

Thanks for the backup Mike. I didn't even half to get the proof;D

6. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

7. didi2005

didi2005 Plankton

Sorry ... i do not understand about the GFCI ... how about it works ... in my country i did not hear about the GFCI, i knew for protecting the electric shock is to use the ELCB ( Earth Leakage Circuit breaker ) ..IS IT THE SAME EQUIPTMENT ?

8. Click Here!

9. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Yes, they are the same thing with different names.

Jim

10. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Great thread!!! I just recently ran a totally separate circuit from my breaker box with a GFCI breaker just for my Tank

:eek: If I am not mistaken don't they put a sponge soaked in saltwater on the head of a person being executed via the electric chair before putting on the electrodes to increase conductivity?? ;) ............................. John

11. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

Mirosh,
    The pc-8 is a great power strip. I am using 2 of them on my tank. I have 2 dedicated 20A circuits with GFI. The pc-8 makes it very easy to power on and off individual pieces of equipment.
    One point I was going to make was to check all your power cords for drip loops. It only takes one cord to cause a flow to the wall outlet.
    Scott

12. RobbyReefer

RobbyReefer Plankton

Another option that might be easier for some, would be to purchase a GFCI replacement breaker for the breaker box. They can be purchased at Home Depot for about $40. It might be easier than replacing the wall socket for some. But if in doubt, certainly find a qualified electrician. Be safe... not sorry.