is treatment working? sick of not knowing..

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by WALLY89, Oct 15, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I have never used copper...but have had good success with hypo conditions. Ick can not survive in water below 1.020 to 1.021. That is why it is recommended that you bring it down to 1.019. You will actually see those cysts pop right open.

Again....I dont know about copper. I will not treat with it. Have heard to many bad things about it and have had good results with FW dips and hypo conditions so I can not say if you can do the 2 together

If you do go hypo...make sure you have a refractometer and that you go slowly as to not shock the fish too much. They can tolerate the drop better then the increase but I have always done mine over a day or two.

When you put everything back into display tank...get a cleaner shrimp. That blue tang will more then likely develop it again....they stress very easy and get ick at a drop of a hat, esp when they are young!

Good luck

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

from what ive been reading the salinity of the water changes the concentration of the copper in the water. you are definately not suppose to do hypo with it but it doesn't seem you have to keep your salinity all the way at 1.025, i would still lower the salinity to around 1.021 slowly over a couple of days and all the while observing the fish to make sure the copper isnt harming it. I think hypo probably would have been better then copper but its too late now.
    when doing hypo your suppose to lower the salinity to 1.010-1.013

4. WALLY89

WALLY89 Astrea Snail

well i was thinking about filling my display tank back up and not useing any more copper. well i was thinking about just putting them back in my display tank and lowering the salinity in there since i have not used copper in there..