Resolved Is this whats hurting my Turbo?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by OttsD, Oct 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OttsD

OttsD Plankton

Ive got a golf ball sized turbo snail that hasn't been acting healthy the last couple of days, normally it makes its way around the tank several times a day, but this week it only moves about 4 square inches. the other big turbo is possibly starting to act this way too. I found this thing crawling around on the fleshy part. Could this be making it sick?

I also found a hermit dead out of its shell, though that could be a coincidence. In the past 2 weeks I've added about 20# of live rock from the same place that the rest of my rock came from (they cure and culture all it in house), and also a sea hare.

The only other livestock is a peppermint shrimp and 2 clowns that have been in there a while.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. bama

bama Humpback Whale

That looks like a huge amphipod.. Maybe with your new live rock you got a mantis..

4. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Yeah, that's just an amphipod. It wouldn't be killing your inverts, eating the dead ones most likely. The mantis is a good suggestion or some other evil hitch hiker. What are your params?

5. OttsD

OttsD Plankton

Temperature: 78
    PH: 8
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 0
    Salinity: 1.022
    dKH/KH/Alkalinity:
    Calcium: 310ppm
    Phosphate 0
    Liquid or Strips:liquid
    Brand Name: liquid
    Are they Expired?: no

I dont remember what the alk was, but it was in the ideal range (im not at home right), and I do realize my calcium is a little low.

Has anyone seen a big snail get sick? everything else seems to be fine (except the dead, homeless hermit) The snail has been like this since monday, it hasn't died yet, still moves, just very little. Could a hermit have been fighting it and injured but not killed it? Ill keep my eyes open for mantis shrimp.