Is this what I need?(Sand form Marco Rocks)

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Jwatson013, Feb 10, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jwatson013

Jwatson013 Plankton

Hi everyone,

Cant seem to find the answer I am really looking for and there are so many pros and cons about everything, so , I wanted to ask you guys/girls what you think.

My plan was to purchase some sand from Marco Rocks and I was thinking about going with 80lbs of the Bahama Argonite sand (fine) but now I am reading that it would be in the best interest of the pistol shrimp to get the coarse sand for extra support for the burrow. (I don't like the idea of sand floating everywhere in the tank with the fine sand when a burrow is made)

I didn't notice anything on Marco Rocks website about grain size other than fine or coarse.

Any opinions or advice would be really helpful on this matter or just not getting the sand from them at all (Marco Rocks).

Thanks in advance -

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Not to dis Marco Rocks sand, but I am a big fan of Reef Rocks sand. I have it in all of my tanks. It comes pre-rinsed and is small enough for sand sifters, yet contains pieces of shells, etc, which are again great for any burrowing fish or inverts. If you buy dry rock (which is identical to Marco), you can get 40 lbs of sand for $15.

4. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

If you wanted something specifically for a pistol shrimp I'd go with a mix of Tropic Eden reeflakes and Grand Select.

5. Jwatson013

Jwatson013 Plankton

Thanks for the help, this will give me a start and I will look into both of them. Thank you again. :)

6. Jwatson013

Jwatson013 Plankton

Thanks for the tip! I didn't realize that I actually had this site under my bookmarks and completely forgot about it until Firefox asked if I wanted to sign into the site lol. Really glad you mentioned this site because I can get the two for one (need dry rock too). Even better, they are located in Florida! Since I live in Florida, it shouldn't take long at all to get it delivered.

Thanks again, awesome find and its nice to hear about the product from someone that already has it.

7. Jwatson013

Jwatson013 Plankton

Thanks for the advice and the sand looks great but it is too steep ($$) for what I am looking for. Thanks again for the advice and helping out another SW hobbyist.