Is this swim bladder disease?

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by czieler, Aug 16, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. czieler

czieler Astrea Snail

My Target Mandarin started acting funny earlier today. While he was swimming he acted as though he was having a hard time keeping his hind end down...it kept trying to float up over his head.

My other Mandarin is fine..all the other fish seem fine. The water params are same as always...

Even at lights out..he was grabbing onto LR...and his butt kept rotating up in the air..he was having a hard time staying down..then he disappeared into the LR where I'm hoping he was able to find an upright position.

Is this what the problem is? Is there anything I can do for him?

2. Click Here!

3. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Humm, it's obvious that he might have swallowed a bubble or is having some bladder problems.

Maybe this page can help to learn more about them.

ADW: Synchiropus splendidus: Information

I really dont know what I would do in this case for a mandarin fish.

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

No swim bladders on them IIRC, same for gobies, and most bottom dwelling fish. No need, they hover ;)

5. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

He may be having a swim bladder problem, as rick pointed out, they do have swim bladders. This is quite evident by their courtship dance. What the real problem is, is hard to say. There are many causes but nothing is very sound. Often it is a diet problem, which may pass.

6. czieler

czieler Astrea Snail

:( Unfortunately I haven't seen him around the tank for two days... my LFS also said he may have swallowed an air bubble...

I'm assuming the worst...that he didn't make it and that the cleaning crew got him. I'm pretty bummed out about it... he was a cool fish... there are plenty of pods in the tank...I always shine my light in the tank at night about once a week..just to make sure I see them buzzing around...neither of my mandarins are/were thin ... both well fed..

I thought about trying to catch him before he went missing..but figured the added stress would definitely kill him... so I didn't try to do that...

This was a photo of him the day he got sick..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]