is this plenty of light for 60 gallon?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by FISH NEWB, Feb 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

looks like a good deal. I see one cord, when you plug it in does all the lights go on? if so then the ballasts are internal.. and thats good. you'll probly have to hang that fixture over your tank 8-12" because of heat and your center brace..

whats the lettering say on those to floruecent long bulbs? should say t5, t12 etc..

2. Click Here!

3. FISH NEWB

FISH NEWB Astrea Snail

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  4. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

5. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

get a 4x54w t5h0, trust us! I have both so I know. PCs will cost you more in the long run..

6. FISH NEWB

FISH NEWB Astrea Snail

yeah you guy's are right about about the output on the light's i guess i will get the first one you said night-rida. do i really need a moonlight?
    lg-36003-46892-fish-supply.jpg

7. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

moonlights can be supplemented later on too.... and they're a personal preference. all of it comes down to your tank husbandry with how you intend to maintain your corals. if you want your corals to get the closest thing to sunlight/nightlight/no-light etc. hell they even make lunar cycle style LED strips for giving your corals a simulated lunar cycle every month.

8. Click Here!

9. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

get the nova 4x54w t5 w/ SLR unit. and you can get blue led strips of ebay for $20+/- bucks in a few weeks.. The main thing is that your getting a good light for the money/budget you have to spend and the bulbs will last you 12+ months compared to 6 months with pc's.. T5's have the best selection for bulbs out there.. the current stock bulbs that come with are good/ok, but once you have 9-12months down the road you can change a few out with ATI,Giessman, or UVL brand bulbs for more PAR and more bluish tint if you desire.

and report back to this thread once you get the fixture setup with some pics! and like I said earlier you may have enough room/depth on tank to still use the 2x55w pc fixture you have.. so you'll be good to go.. :)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  10. FISH NEWB

FISH NEWB Astrea Snail

it got here

well guy's this took forever to get here but i finally got the light for my 60 gallon project. here are some pics. nova extreme HO T5 216 watts. look way better than before.

after : IMG_0202.jpg IMG_0206.jpg

11. FISH NEWB

FISH NEWB Astrea Snail

here is a pic of what it looked like before.

before : IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

12. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid