is this plenty of light for 60 gallon?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by FISH NEWB, Feb 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefWizard

ReefWizard Coral Banded Shrimp

From what I see in your earlier pics, you do not have a canopy. If you DIY, it will not look as good, if that's matter to you.

You can start cycling your tank with the light you have and spend a little more time finding the right light for you.

2. Click Here!

3. FISH NEWB

FISH NEWB Astrea Snail

i had another question. does the light have to go all the way across the tank?

4. ReefWizard

ReefWizard Coral Banded Shrimp

It's your personal preference. Some reefers keep live rocks in island style and keep MH light right above it giving maximum light for the corals on this island.

5. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

PC bulbs need replacing more than any other reef bulb (every 6-8 months). I'd only get a 4 or 6 bulb t5 unit on your tank.. IMHO.. with T5s u can go like 12-18 months and more colors available.

I seen a 4 bulb with SLR for $210 shipped new. alot better than jebo PC fixture..let me know..

If you buy a 48" 4x54w T5 unit, you can still use your 2x55w pc fixture right behind it.. like how I do my lighting..

Sent you a private message, check your mailbox.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  6. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

your tank is 48" so you'll want a 48" T5 fixture.. and I would advise at least 2" gap from bottom of light fixture to top surface of water line.. electrical safety issues.. even with a splash guard on the light fixture.

7. FISH NEWB

FISH NEWB Astrea Snail

thank you for the tips night-rida, went to the site to.

8. Click Here!

9. FISH NEWB

FISH NEWB Astrea Snail

hey guy i know i have been a pain in your butts with my newb ?'s but a buddy of mine came across this light at his job site. the owner explained the light to him but he forgot the info, he just remembered that i like fish tank, so to cut the story. he told him it was not in use, call me the light happened to be 48'' he sold it to my buddy for me for 80 bucks and some extra work. he send me a pic. the owner of the light said it was for coral. whats the bulb in the middle and was it a good buy? and is it enough for my tank.

Attached Files:

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The bulb in the middle is a metal halide light. The bulbs on the end look like T12 VHO. You will be able to grow hard corals and clams with that unit if you choose. Find the manufacturer and look up the unit and it's specs. You may need to replace the bulbs. Find out when they were last replaced.

11. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

+1 on 2in10

I would watch the center brace of your acrylic tank. Metal halide bulbs can get very hot and melt the plastic. You will have to do a little finagling to figure out how high you need it above the water as to not boil the h2o in your tank. I think it was a nice find. Does it come with the ballast and all that?

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

+1 xmetal on the brace and boiling water