Is this overstocked for a 20 gallon?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by suckmypleco, Mar 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. suckmypleco

suckmypleco Plankton

1 Dwarf gourami
    2 German blue rams
    1 Bristlenose pleco
    8 neon tetras

I have a normale H.O.B filter for 20 gallons and i do 30 percent water changes once a week 0 ammonia 0 nitrites 10 nitrates (but thats not the point)

let me know if i will be able to keep my water safe with these fish doing 30% WC once a week (I would like to add a female gourami or two for the male dwarf gourami that i already have)

only fish i have right now is the 1 male dwarf gourami this is what im planning to get

2. Click Here!

3. suckmypleco

suckmypleco Plankton

Whoops didnt mean to douple post srry

4. suckmypleco

suckmypleco Plankton

well this forums dead:snore1:

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

don't be so impatient, and you triple posted not double posted

i would say your maxed out now unless you have some great filtration, if you take in to account how big each fish gets.

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

It's only been 13 minutes since you posted....give it time :)

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I agree with Sostoudt. It is important not to consider how big the fish is when you get it, but how big it will get and how much waste it can produce. Larger fish produce more waster generally, so you may want to be careful. I think a weekly 30 gallon water change should greatly help, but I am not positive if that can go on in definitely as the fish grow. Just keep up maintenance on the tank and progress slowly. Good luck.

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I would say you have room for a few more fish the Rams get what 2 " maybe 3 tops and the D/G may hit 3 " and the pleco is the largest fish in there they tend to get a little large with age.. the neon tetras
    will become food for him one day.. I have seen them swoop up and take out a nice scoop of them many times Oh and don't think that Dwarf gourami won't eat the neons as will the German rams either chiclides are chiclides and they are the least aggressive of them but they eat meat..

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  10. suckmypleco

suckmypleco Plankton

the biggest fish there only gets to 5 inches and its a pleco so i would understand it producing alot of waste and causing ammonia but neon tetras?? and dwarf gouramis :( i gotta have nothin but like 2 inch fish in a 20 gallon huh?

11. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

the rule is 1 inch of fish per gallon. just add up the max sizes of all the fish

edit: that is the fw rule

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  12. suckmypleco

suckmypleco Plankton

i heard that doesnt really work that some fish are just alot more messy than others if that was the case i'll put an oscar in a 20 gallon lol sounds like abuse.......nvm though i have my mind made up