Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Frizza, Jan 23, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

No prob. Good luck and keep us upto date on your progress

J

2. Click Here!

3. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

I waited patiently without doing anything and now nearly all trace of the brown algae has dissapeared!!
    I suppose the green stuff is still to come, I will hold fire from putting in a clean up crew as there now is very little for them to eat, maybe it would be better to add some fish first.

4. Jason McKenzie

I would add a clean up crew first but you could also just add a clean up crew and 1 fish at the same time. As the hermits and snails don't realy add a lot to the bio load

What fishes are you looking in to

J

5. Frizza

Well I am expecting a green algae bloom now as all of the brown algae has now gone. What I don't want to do is add some snails and hermits and the poor things dont have anything to eat! I think it might be worth waiting until the green algae kicks in and then introduce the clean up crew.
    Quick question, once the green algae appears I assume that it will go away just like the brown algae (diatoms), is this correct? If so, what would the snails and hermits feed on or would I have to provide them with food myself?

As for the fish, I am looking at getting a pair of small clowns, not to keen on the other damsel fish!

Thanks

6. Jason McKenzie

I Never had a green algae bloom. I wouldn't be concerned by your snails and crabs finding food. with fresh LR there will be no problem keeping them fed.

You could get your Clown pair and clean up crew all at the same time if you think you might have a food shortage for the inverts

J

7. Frizza

Well a coraline bloom would be great instead!!

I am planning to get my first inhabitants tomorrow. I will go for the fish first and see how they get on, if all goes well then I will get my clean up crew.
    I don't really want to introduce them all at once as I'd rather take my time to ensure that I acclimatise them properly.

Jason, thanks for all your help it's most appreciated.