Is this ick?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Mawnkey, Nov 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mawnkey

Mawnkey Ritteri Anemone

2. Click Here!

3. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids

It its what it is and how it should be.

1 person likes this.
  4. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Corolline corrected me on an earlier statement. It's copper, not antibiotics that do the trick, apologies for my mis-information, but as mentioned puffers don't do well with copper. Thank you Cheryl, and Mawnkey, sorry you have to deal with this. I hope for the best.

1 person likes this.
  5. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Hyposalinity would be the safest route to treat the fish in a hospital/QT. Especially the more sensitive fish like your puffer. And the fact that once you use copper, all of the equipment along with the tank are now saturated with Copper and will be toxic to any inverts. The thing about hypo is that you must stay on top of your salinity, and doing this will require a refractometer. And fluctuations above or below the recommended levels and the treatment becomes null and void. It CAN be done, but most folks who swear by it, do this kinda of a thing for a living, unlike most hobbyists. We just simply cannot monitor them all day, everyday. That being said, the suggestions of adding some vegetable type food to their diet, like 'emerald entree' and adding selcon and garlic will help. Sometimes it will clear up and sometimes it won't.....good luck to you!

6. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

well you can technically cleanse a system from copper...its just a long tedious task, ive never done it but ive read about it

7. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I wouldnt ever want to just hope that I got it all out, and risk using the equipment etc, and it slowly but surely leach out to where something might happen...

8. Click Here!

9. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

yea i mean me either but if its your only option then :/ but they do sel test kits for copper as well

10. Mawnkey

Mawnkey Ritteri Anemone

I'm in a real pinch sigh. I keep hearing hypo works well but stressing my fish more by moving them is worst. :'( this sucks guys

11. Mawnkey

Mawnkey Ritteri Anemone

And i would rather not use copper at all

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  12. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

It does suck. I recently had a huge ich outbreak in my tank. I have lost 80 percent of my fish. I set up a 55 gallon tank and let it cycle, all the while I was losing fish. I ended up moving all the fish over to my 55 and then lost 4 more in the move. I was planning on using cupramine, but out of the 4 fish remaining they never showed any signs of ich while in my Display tank, and have not shown any signs since I move them over to the 55. So I am not going to treat them with copper. It has been about 8 weeks since the out break. I am going to run my display tank fishless for 9 weeks, and then start restocking. But they are all going into the 55 first, so if here is any signs of ich or any issues at all, I can treat accordingly.