Is This Ich Or Something Else On Blue Tang?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Weir_Head, Mar 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Weir_Head

Weir_Head Skunk Shrimp

I was hoping he would kick it on his own, but it's been about 2-3 weeks now of off and on spots/ich.

Like I said, he rips into the seaweed clip, rips the flakes from the other fish's mouth sometimes, and loves the Rod's Food.
    Swims around constantly, very active.

I just feel bad if he's not doing as well as he's leading on, you know?
    The only thing I'm adding to the frozen food is Garlic, but I've read that there's stuff you can add and re-freeze for worms and such.

Maybe I'll look into that first.

2. Click Here!

3. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

But these are worms. Usually a fish just fights off ick. But I don't think they will just fight off tang disease. I'm pretty sure actions have to be taken to better the health of the fish and not lead to death.

If it were my tank I would try and find a qt tank to start running meds. If no qt even tho I'm against fresh water dips since I feel it brings more stress to the fish. But I would dip it and give it a formulin bath.

You could also just get a rubbermaid and filter and if your running carbon take some out and stick it in the hob for bacteria. Make sure it's food grade so things won't leak into water. Again these are just ideas and things i would try. I'm no expert in this area.

4. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

5. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Any updates on the health of the tang?

6. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

Fish can go downhill pretty suddenly, even if the day before they seem active and healthy. If you see it itch itself against rock, or a decline in appetite I would QT and treat right away.

On a side note, I'd like to start a campaign to get people to stop saying "ich"! ;)

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Black Ich is not a parasite that fish can kick on their own. It is hard to treat and it will spread to other fish. A wait and watch or try alternative treatments is not the best course IMO. Here are some links hopefully is help.

Dr. Aqua
    Black ick

FW baths seem to be an effective treatment, but once the parasite (worm) is present and reproducing in the system it becomes harder to treat.

Good luck