Is This Ich Or Something Else On Blue Tang?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Weir_Head, Mar 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Weir_Head

Weir_Head Skunk Shrimp

I've had my Blue Tang for about 5-6 weeks now.
    He eats like a pig: Seaweed Sheets, Flakes, Rod's Food, etc.

He doesn't seem to show any signs of stress. He swims around, doesn't flash up or rub on stuff, isn't lethargic or anything.

But he keeps getting what I would call bumps. It doesn't really look like ich, more so like these grey little bumps.
    I kind of assume it is ich, since that seems to be the thing with them, but I picture ich as more spread and less random. Not 100%

Here's a photo I just took of him sleeping... The color is pretty much the same day or night.
    The symptoms come and go as far as the amount of visible bumps.

All other fish has no visible abnormalities.

He's small, maybe an inch.
    I'd love any thoughts or suggestions.

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

4. Weir_Head

Weir_Head Skunk Shrimp

Do you have any experience with treatment?

5. saints fan 420

not with one of my fish but a buddy and i have treated his..the link i posted is what we used for help and identifing everything..

"Treatment Recommendation

Give all infected fish a freshwater dip, followed by a formalin bath and continue treatment in a QT.

Preventing Reinfestation

Reinfection will occur no matter how effectively the fish have been treated if these parasitic tubellarian worms are not eradicated from the main aquarium. Unfortunately because they can survive for several months without a host, this is often not an easy thing to do, but here are some suggestions.

•Leave the main aquarium devoid of all fish for several months.

•Young worms live in the substrate and feed on detritus and organic debris until such time they mature and go in search of a fish host. By siphoning up excess organic matter that can build up on the bottom of the aquarium can help to control their numbers.

•For fish-only tanks that have no freshwater sensitive invertebrates present, hyposalinity can be applied."

~ Debbie & Stan Hauter

6. saints fan 420

you have to have a qt tank...and start siphoning that sand bed..

7. Weir_Head

Weir_Head Skunk Shrimp

Through siphoning, you can get all the "worms"?
    Seems like something that would have a small success rate

8. Click Here!

9. saints fan 420

you prolly wont get all of them, but you will get most of them...

when my friend had it he completely took all his fish out..about 30 fish and put them in 55 gallon and 40 gallon qts..he let this be for about 1.5 months..and he pretty much replaced his sand..it got to where he siphoned so much out that after he siphoned he replaced some with dry sand..the tang fought the parasite and is as happy as can be and cant tell anything was wrong with it..but it was just something that sucked tremendously..he was fortunate to have a few people loan him some old tanks that had already been used with chemicals...he has a 265, so it was a B%&$#..took him about a week to catch all the fish with a fish trap..

10. Weir_Head

Weir_Head Skunk Shrimp

Yeah... it seems like this process would/will suck tremendously.
    I'll have to also ask and look around and see if there's any alternatives for treatment.

It seems like that might be what it is though, the black spot disease. So at least that's a good start.

11. saints fan 420

yeah... im sure there are some corners that could cut, but idk my friend didnt take any chances and completely stripped his tank of fish for a couple months, but he had a few 300-400$ wrasses and stuff as well, so he kinda had to do it right..

12. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

I have no experience with black Ich but my blue tang had regular ich and he fought it off with no treatment in about 3ish weeks. As long as they are eating well and are actively swimming they should be able to fight it off on their own. maybe add some supplements to your frozen food to give him a boost and make sure your params are solid as not to add any additional stress, and if you can, decrease the photo period by as much as possible (decreases stress on fish).
    GL