Is this good lighting? (75g)

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by slo_rex, Dec 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. slo_rex

slo_rex Plankton

Hey 3reefers,

I'm new to reefing but have done lots and lots of research and reading. I just picked up my 75g tank with a sump 2 pumps and a stand. The previous owner was using it as a frag tank. Well anyways, I'm looking for a lighting set up and can't afford to spend 500+ on a set up :/

I have come across this set up on ebay.

48" inch 4 ft 6pc HO T5 Aquarium Reef Lights 324W w Build in Timer | eBay

What do you think of it? Worth it? Any input is acceptable. I normally don't buy "ebay" brand thing but this time around Im tempted.

Thank you!

2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Wow, I would be really leery of no-name aquarium products on ebay. The price too just sounds pretty unbelievable. I mean, what people usually consider "cheap" "budget" 48" 6-bulb T-5s, go for well over twice that.

4. nightster

nightster Pajama Cardinal

I'd probably leave that alone, remember you get what you pay for...

5. slo_rex

slo_rex Plankton

I'm iffy on it myself...ill give it a shot though. If its not what I expected ill ship it back.

6. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

You may want to read their return policy. LOL "Might be able to ship it back within 7 days" LOL @ 30% restocking fee.

7. slo_rex

slo_rex Plankton

Didn't even look at that!! Haven't ordered the yet... Might actually save up and go with something brand name..

Any recommendations? My tank will start off as a fowlr an as I get more experience ill start on the reef build.

8. Click Here!

9. leigh

leigh Flamingo Tongue

Maybe try getting one of the reefbreeders fixtures. If your going Fowlr you could use one to start then add another when deciding on reef and as you save money. This way you wont have to replace bulbs.
    Just keep in mind with 6 T5s @ and average of 20$ your going to be spending hundreds a year on bulbs and trust me your gonna hate it. All of my tanks have T5 and MH and its getting very frustrating lol

10. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

11. leigh

leigh Flamingo Tongue

Imo im not a big fan of those marine-land fixtures. In my experience my friend has one on his African cichlid tank and it is garbage because it cannot switch between the blue and white from a timer it can only switch it on the fixture. Also marineland has been nothing but a big pain for me personally customer service wise.
    Over the years I have had a few marine-land heaters break and even there canister filter with little service from there company. I just really doubt that the fixture will last 5+ years

12. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

uhh anything within his budget is going to be garbage, thanks for your input