Is this brown cyano? Nope it's dinos!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by zesty, Sep 5, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Ballgame, are there trapped bubbles in there? That's (I think) the best way to determine if it's dinos or brown cyano. Do you have any growing on your rocks?

Ballgame likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Ballgame you have what looks like a combination cyano and diatoms, add any new equipment lately?

Av8Bluewater likes this.
  4. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

No bubbles. And. GFO in last month. Does that help or hurt?
    I'm about to pull all my rocks out so I can siphon all algae out.
    I've had cyano before , this jut looks like regular algae to me but I also don't know what I'm talking about

5. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

No bubbles and nothing on rocks. Guess that a good thing

6. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I would say so. All of these stupid dinos I have all started out with clear tiny bubbles showing up, then brown slime took over and off it went, like Laura ingalls wilder running down the hill...

GFO will help, but IMO, you don't want to run it all the time. I believe I read somewhere that the carbon will exhaust first and the the ferric oxide lasts longer, but will also exhaust at some point.

I've been running my GFO for 3 weeks now. I am probably going to pull it after one more week. I can tell by eye that my algae is clearing up, so I'll give it one more week and then pull it. You don't want to run your nutrients too low for too long. I did that when I first used the GFO reactor, that and blew GFO dust everywhere, oh man, that was a nightmare.

I hope this helps!

Ballgame likes this.
  7. Pants

Pants Plankton

Ballgame, dinos can look like your photo. How old is your tank? Have you added new sand or new rock lately? Diatoms appear the same way as dinos (at least initially). Diatom blooms after adding sand are expected and will die out on their own without harming anything.