Resolved Is this aiptasia or feather dusters?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by scottn2696, Jan 27, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. scottn2696

scottn2696 Plankton

I have a lot of feather dusters on my live rock but i noticed something different on the side of a piece. It is very small right now, but there are two of them. If it is aiptasia how do i get rid of it without chemicals. I hear peppermint shrimp do the job, but i don't know if my maroon clown will kill it. Here is a pic. Thank You

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That looks like aiptaisa.

Peppermin shrimp are the common non-chemical way the other is a nudibranch that is quite expensive to buy and you need to buy several. Injecting it with boiling water is another method. Lemon juice too.

Kalk paste is another effective way to kill them but it would be a chemical means. I do suggest considering chemical means like kalk paste.

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Kinda hard to tell from the pic, but looks like it could be an aptasia.

Several cheap and easy ways to kill these:
    here's just a few:
    1. put nearly boiling hot water in a syringe (no needle obviously), and shoot it right on top of it- the hot water that is- right on it!
    2. Get some kalwasser.
    Go to Piggly Wiggly or similar grocery store- buy 'Mrs Wards Piclking LIme' = lime water = Kalwasser! It's about 3.50 for a BIG bag of it.
    mix up a few ml's or real potent stuff- just a few ml's
    Squirt that directly on it fron the syringe (I suppose a trukey baster would work too)

These are 2 sure fire- cheap ways to get rid of the Aptasia.

A third way, slighltly more trouble is:
    3. Take the rock in question out of the water.
    Take a Butane Fire starter- like for fireplaces, etc. ( I suppose a cig. lighter would also work-YUCK) and burn off the aptasia- I done all 3, and they all work and work well.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I agree with John, try the kalk paste.

It's not what I would consider a chemical like say chemiclean or some type of medication or algaecide.