Is this a good design for a refugium?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by crutkas, Aug 1, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crutkas

crutkas Flamingo Tongue

I'm attempting to design a refugium and was wondering if any are a good idea. I’m new to the sport and haven’t purchased anything yet.

I imagined that I would want to maximize the fuge size so I used a lot of baffles to reduce bubbles however they are at a 45 degree angle. I figure if I have the increased number of them it would help for the decrease in total length.

I was also wondering if it would be a better idea to have the return and inlet on opposite sides to increase the flow in the fuge.

Anyone use the Urchin Pro? I like the footprint of the unit alot and remembering hearing people say that AquaC's are good skimmers.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I like the Euro reef set-up. Looks very good!

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Cool diagrams! 8)

Any looks good to me, but I remembered that you wanted to upgrade to a big tank down the road, might as well get the EuroReef now. The Urchin doesn't have a broad of a range as far as tank sizes go.

Never seen baffles like that. That's pretty wild!

5. crutkas

crutkas Flamingo Tongue

How about the AquaC EV120's or 180's. They have a smaller footprint then the Euroreefs by 3-4 inches ... and cheaper.

I came up with the idea for the baffells since I wanted to maximize the amount of baffels it would have to go through with a small space.

I could have the skimmer outside of the sump to maximize the room but seems like it would work just the way it is.

Haven't totally gotten a game plan on the levels each item will be since I'm not totally sure how the skimmer's output and inputs work.

I'm still doin my homework.

6. Craig Manoukian

[quote author=crutkas link=board=Refugium;num=1091405856;start=0#3 date=08/01/04 at 22:38:09]I'm still doin my homework.[/quote]

Attaboy!

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=crutkas link=board=Refugium;num=1091405856;start=0#3 date=08/01/04 at 22:38:09]How about the AquaC EV120's or 180's.  They have a smaller footprint then the Euroreefs by 3-4 inches ... and cheaper.[/quote]

Several people on this forum have those skimmers... all of them love them. ;) :)

8. Click Here!

9. crutkas

crutkas Flamingo Tongue

Final Design? Good Bad?

Attached Files:

10. Craig Manoukian

The flow looks good, I still vote for LR over bioballs.

11. crutkas

crutkas Flamingo Tongue

I'm still going to have LR in the system .... just not a wall of it. The Bioballs area going to be just a supliment for LR.
    Like a multivitamin if you will ... not to live off of but doesn't hurt to take them.