Is this a good deal on a 125 SW????

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by snooopidydoo, Dec 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

ok looked again at post and it said has custom made glass so it can make an overflow....would look at that VERY closely.....

Also look at the sump...claiming it cost $100....must not be a good sump as you can not get one that cheap or it is TINY!!!

I am obsessing over sumps I know...just that I bought a used 72 a couple weeks ago and plumbed it myself and then realized the sump is a piece of junk and is WAY tooo small and now am looking at replumbing the whole thing and because it is a bowfront and already filled I can not just add a new sump without taking the whole tank down...so luckily it is in a locatoin where I can place an external sump behind the stand.

I dont know about the undergravel filter...I would say get rid of that right away...but maybe he has done something special with it....

anyway enough good luck

2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I bought my tank on craigslist. I looked at a ton of adds. That looks like an "ok" deal. I can get rock for 2.50 a lb. That HOB refuium is probably worth $75 used.. so it's worth $400 right there.
    The problem is you'll end up wanting to upgrade the filtration and other things. If you could spend a little bit more in the used market you'll get way more. Being in Albany you're not that far from major cities so I'm sure there are better deals around.

Try to get something with a refugium/sump. If it has external pumps, listen to how they sound while running. If it has a rhythm it could be time for a new impaler or new pump.
    Definitely see it with water in it. Built in overflows. I don't think I could have setup with no cabinet up top. The glare from the lights in my living room would drive me nuts.

4. snooopidydoo

snooopidydoo Coral Banded Shrimp

Youre totally right. I like the second tank way better.. (but i still need more money to get her taken care of)
    And i've searched every city in oregon, and northern california, and these are my favorite 2 (or atleast the most affordable) If anybody in my area has some equipment for sale, or know of something give me a holler!
    I need them both!!
    AHH. wish i had some more money. Wish i didnt have so many freakin hobbys so i had more spending money.

Thanks again.

5. snooopidydoo

snooopidydoo Coral Banded Shrimp

So just got a reply fromk the guy with tank #2.

This is what he said...

Hello

I am including (with this tank) a sump with a gravity overflow, a high volume water pump, and a return hose to the tank at the opposite end. I was using the sump and the other parts on my spare 50 gallon tank to house my fish. I just sold the fish to the pet shop the other day so I am in process of cleaning the sump to get it ready to sell with the tank..

The under gravel plates in a reef tank are mainly used to develop bacteria under the gravel. When you first setup a tank you can put a couple of powerheads on tubes to get the bacteria growing and then remove the tubes later. Or you can plumb this tank underneath the undergravel plates (there are 4 bulkheads in the bottom of the tank).

So this tank could be used as a reef or a standard setup with undergravel filters.

I hope this answers your questions. If not please feel free to email me with additional questions.

**** 100 Gallon Glass Show Tank with Stand/Canopy/Halide Lights etc

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Never seen an undergravel filter used in a SW application. In fact, I dont recommend it at all. No wonder he's selling his system, he probably never had any success with it. Luna