Is this a good deal on a 125 SW????

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by snooopidydoo, Dec 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. snooopidydoo

snooopidydoo Coral Banded Shrimp

Bleach it and make it base rock?
    Will it turn the rock white??

Is there anything i can use to make it.. not white??
    haha..

What are the filters i can get to use with my well water for the tank???
    I cant go to the store and buy huge amounts of distilled water..
    What can i do?

And you guys are right, does it still take the same amount of time to cycle that big of a tank? Should i just wash there sand??

2. Click Here!

3. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

I agree with both of these statements I am sure something went wrong with the overflow and that is why they are not using it unless they are really clueless and couldn't figure out how it worked .::) Maybe you have a leak but you could fix it I am sure.

The tank would have to be nuked and that includes the rock sand and all the equipment too I would start it from scratch and after it cycles add the stuff from your established tank also watch for tose scratches like someone else said I had them in the first tank I bought used and they didn't bother me at first but after a while I couldn't NOT see them if you know what I mean.

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

As mentioned already, if possible, I would go over there and see it in person. It sounds like they dont know too much about the hobby, at least the lingo. The skimmer is garbage, you will need to get a better one. The LR is a great deal, but as stated already, alot of work nuking it(but worth it). The HOB refugium is a good thing, I just dont know if its big enough for a 125g. The sump has yet to be seen, so I/we cant comment on that.
    The lighting seems to be either T5's or PC's. You may need to up-grade the lighting, it all depends on what your planning to keep and how deep the tank is. If it comes with everything thats on the pic, everything that has been mentioned, even if he doesnt budge from the $500, the tank and LR are worth more than $500. Of course, you need to see the tank as Otty has mentioned. I think that when you get there and inspect everything, its going to be a clear choice. Either you get it or you dont. Best of luck and keep us posted. Luna

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  5. reefman1132

reefman1132 Skunk Shrimp

I sort of feel like with the condition of that tank that you would be getting into a big mess. For the right price it might be worth it but if you nuke the LR you have no more bio filter and it defeats the purpose of getting the tank in the first place. I would definitely go look at it and update us.

6. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

The cycle time should be the same use some of the sand and rock from your existing tank to seed the new one with bacteria and coraline

7. tarheel

tarheel Skunk Shrimp

Looks to me to be 2 separate light fixtures, maybe a 48" and a 24" or something. Definatly go see it, either they are totally clueless. Or trying to sound totally clueless to unload a bunch of junk. Like someone already said, you will probably know it when you get there.

8. Click Here!

9. snooopidydoo

I am planning to go see it. The only problem is it's a few hours from me. I'm also planning to go see this tank.. **** 100 Gallon Glass Show Tank with Stand/Canopy/Halide Lights etc

I'm almost thinking it will be a better deal..

Only thing is i will have to plumb it (which i dont know how to do) and i will need to buy my live rock :-(..

I've got around $500 to upgrade, want to go 90+, but both i will have to save some extra cash to fix em up. Damn this expensive hobby!!!! haha..

What's your input on this tank??

10. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Truth...
    I bought cheap and did the right thing, as suggested above....14 weeks later I am dig'n the results.;D
    LG

11. snooopidydoo

I agree, but i dont know what i would do about a new skimmer, and lights. And possibility of a cracked or leaky sump..

I will go look at them both, Buy if either are good deals, and keep you guys updated. But more input the better!

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I think the second tank has better equipment and plumbing isnt as hard as it seems once you get a plan and others on here can help you do it.
    I like the fact that it has MH lights on this one...however you will have to plan on replacing those bulbs more then likely as MH need to be replaced freq. Plus you will have to get a chiller with MH..which is more expense

The other thing that I am concerned about wth the second tank is where the bulkheads are...now I dont know a lot with plumbing tanks but there is no overflow there...and looks like it would be hard to place overflows where they are located....so a fear would be flooding in power outages etc.....maybe someone else can chime in.

But I love the oak canopy and that....