Is This A Bad Idea?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Bruce, Dec 16, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Hello all... well as some of you might remember my 12 gal nano crashed and i am going to gut it and start from scratch...well i am thinking of buying some nice uncured rock from reefermadness and letting it cure in the tank...my question is, if i wanted to put some of the new rock in my reef will that cause problems? i will scub it and such....but will there be 2 much dy off?

2. Click Here!

3. acenia

acenia Spaghetti Worm

I once added 20lbs of almost cured LR in a 55gal and i did see a little spike in my params. So i would say its a gamble. JMO

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

hmmm....ya i really dont wanna do it...but im gona have alot of extra rock lol...o well ill think about it

5. acenia

acenia Spaghetti Worm

You could just cure it in a rubbermaid tub for the time being and then add it to your tank.

6. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

If it were cured then shipped, I might consider putting it in your tank after scrubbing it, depending on the smell and condition of the rock when it arrives. However, I would not recommend putting uncured rock in an established system due to the amount of die-off and ammonia produced.

7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

ya that is what i was thinking, i just wasnt sure if like 1 or 2 rock after being scrubbed would cause an ammonia spike