Is there such a thing as too small for a reef?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by sigmoid, Jun 22, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I have a ten gallon mixed reef with a HOB filter. It's kind of my tinker tank. I experiment with it and use those ideas on my display. It's been running for two years.

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Actually a tinker tank isn't a bad idea :)

4. sigmoid

sigmoid Astrea Snail

Hm I'm thinking I'll just start with inverts only, and later add a fish if everything works fine. That seems to be the standard procedure anyway, as most fish tutorials say "add to a well-established mature reef".
    I'm wondering, what order should I add inverts in? Also, what kind of cleanup crew does a small zoa-only setup need?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  5. civiccars2003

For inverts you have a lot of options. For clean up crew, go to reef cleaners. For fish, check live Aquarias site, they have a nano section you can look at. As far as coral, you have a ton of options as well.

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'd probably add in your CUC inverts first after the cycle. Zoas can also go in after your cycle. I know that 1.0 gave you scientific names of inverts and I'm too lazy to see if one is sexy shrimp. Check those out! They are the cutest little shrimps ever! The beauty of a nano reef is that you can have tiny things and actually see them. I've read where sexy shrimp form a symbiotic relationship with maxi mini anemones. Just some ideas to look into while you get your tank up and running.

7. sigmoid

sigmoid Astrea Snail

Won't maxi minis turn into a milder version of a majano/aiptasia tribble run, and sting my zoas while swimming all over the place? They don't have a very good reputation. :D

As for the cycle, does the tank need anything in it to help the cycle besides live rock and live sand? (Put it other way, CAN anything be in the tank besides live rock and live sand?)

8. Click Here!

9. civiccars2003

10. sigmoid

sigmoid Astrea Snail

11. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

12. sigmoid

sigmoid Astrea Snail