Is there such a thing as too much light?

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by Matt Rogers, Nov 20, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Is there such a thing as too much light?

1. Yes.

25 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. No.

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. I don't know.

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I normally like to provide good quotes and sources but I'm a little on the swamped side at the moment so I apologize in advance for the poor form of my post.

The answer is.....Yes, most certainly.

Google "Coral Photoinhibition".

All SPS require MH's right??? Nope.

Google "Coral Reef Zonation". Sometimes people nuke their brand new SPS by not knowing where it normally lives in the wild. A SPS coral that normally lives 60 foot down on the deep forereef or the deep leeward side of a reef won't particularly care for a 400 Watt MH.

FOOTNOTE: If someone could PM me after the Christmas season as a reminder to have me put up a decent post, I would greatly appreciate it.

PS....Google Dana Riddle too. He's a freakin' genius at photoinhibition.

2. Click Here!

3. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

my echinos are shrinking cause i can't find a good place for them lower in my tank.i gues s it just depends on the coral.i've almost killed many corals from being to hi and some from not enough light.mostly brains, and mushrooms.thats why they have care instructions.otherwise people would just blast all corals with light to make sure.i'm trying to get the echinophilias to adjust to more light but their not adjusting well.