is there such a thing as too many

Discussion in 'Clams' started by evojoe67, Jul 28, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. evojoe67

evojoe67 Aiptasia Anemone

I am gathering information to restart my 210 reef and a clam is on the wish list.

I was wondering if there is a limit as far as having too many clams:confused:

Now i'm really only looking at adding 2 so I doubt that will be an issue,I was just curious if overstocking applied to these like it applies to fish:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Personally I do believe that overstocking with clams is only an issue when they begin to utilize the big 3 parameters and you for whatever reason are unable to meet that demand.

Consider though the investment you make and how you might deal with specific clam disease and pest.

PMD and Pyramid snail as well pathogens not yet researched should be considered.

Choosing a healthy clam and perhaps investing in a QT designed specifically for clams might should be a consideration.

Having been a recovering clam addict I find them stunning and fairly hardy. One just needs to do the research.

4. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Another thing is baby clams (< 3") can be a bit more delicate than older clams. Altho I kept 5 clams of various species very successfully at one time, I could never get a small specimen to do well.

Your best defense against Pyramidellae is giving the new clam a good scrubbing, and check it with a mag glass or loupe, esp. around the byssal area and under the edge of the mantle. You'll also want to remove any gelatinous egg masses you find.

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I currently keep 7 clams in my 36. I only bought 2 that were over 4 inches and there between 5-6 inches in a year and my babies were about 1-1/2 inches and there growing well past 2 inches. I always gave them a good scrub before putting then my tank. They do suck a lot of calcium so dosing is important IMO. I'm a clamaholic ;)

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

No. Fish are active animals. They can eat a lot and produce a lot of waste. The aforementioned testing and dosing of cal, mag, and alk, along with providing adequate room for growth, are your main concerns with clams.