Is there anything else cyano likes?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by chumslickjon, Jun 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

How about phosguard? I have some of that and a reactor I can use.

2. Click Here!

3. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

phosguard is fina but make sure to follow the directions. Most aluminum oxide phoshate removers are not supposed to be left in an aquarium long term due to the fact that it will release the phoshate back into the tank.

4. chumslickjon

I'm hooking it up and will test in 4 days, although, with my tests coming back to 0, I'm not sure that will tell me much.

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

As mentioned previously, no hobby grade phosphate kit is sensitive enough or accurate enough to detect phosphate levels low enough to inhibit cyano. Also no test kit will detect organic phosphate. When cyano dies the phosphate will be bound to organic complexes. It only be ones inorganic after these break down, if the organics are not removed first.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. chumslickjon

My tank and fuge is now cyano clean. After a quick rinse in some RO last week my chaeto appeared dark forest green which I assume is healthy.
    I haven't performed my water change yet, but had about 5 gallons of skimate that I replaced with new saltwater.
    My Po4 is testing 0 still
    My nitrates are 0 (which could also be why my chaeto hardly grows.
    I also setup a reactor with phosguard and will be changing the media tomorrow.

Since I have a new 22G nano, I've been moving most of my corals to it. I am considering taking this tank down, although I may keep it running as a FOWLR. Still undecided, but am very curious to see if the Cyano will stay away if I continue to run the reactor.