Is there anything else cyano likes?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by chumslickjon, Jun 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

Could the build-up on the rocks had more to do with poor flow than too many rocks?

2. Click Here!

3. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

Well, there was no more room for another power head in the tank and I already have a powerhead in the sump. My fish get blown around a little bit, so I don't think flow is the problem. Trying to cram over 50 pounds of rocks in a 29 gallon tank might not have been the best thing to do. Like I said, I was always under the impression that more rock was better filtration, but it actually worked against me..... I think. Only time will tell and I'll certainly be updating this thread.

4. Ron P

Ron P Astrea Snail

I've read that sometimes in high phosphate environments that it can become trapped in the rocks and leach it back into the water for a while.

This is a very interesting thread for sure. It has me thinking. What would happen if diatoms were introduced. Would diatoms out compete cyano?

5. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

This has a ton of info in it....great thread.

Sounds like you have narrowed things down to beat this thing. congratz

6. chumslickjon

To update this thread.
    I'm still getting a little film in areas. Every couple days I blow it all off with a baster. The one rock in particular, it's full of small holes and crevaces, and I always blow a lot of gunk out of it. Is it possible I need to position a power head to blow on this rock? it's the large flat peice on the right. Would having the power head pointed at it effect the corals I have on that rock?
    Also, I'm considering a new pump rather than adding another power head. I have a pf300 overflow box and was considering a mag 7 return. Would that be too much flow for the pf300 even with the squid attached to the mag 7? Whats optimal flow for a 29 gallon?

7. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

I haven't read the entire thread but do you do a water change when you use the turkey baster? If not all its doing is putting the cyano in your water column all over again.

8. Click Here!

9. chumslickjon

No, I try to suck it up and put it in the trash, or into the overflow box since I thought the skimmer would pick it up.

Here's what I did yesterday, I cleaned my return pump, it wasn't too dirty at all, but it's getting better flow, not much though. I took out the skimmer (coralife 65) and it was caked with gunk on the bottom of the reaction chamber. I'm wondering if this played a part in the issue. Anyone know if these skimmers need routine cleaning of the reaction chamber? Our zero edge tank has a reef octopus and never had the reaction chamber cleaned.

10. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

I clean my entire skimmer once a week when i do my water changes.

11. jfuller

jfuller Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

any CuC in sump? i had awful cyano problem awhile ago and was told that sudden changes to the system (lighting, addition of anything new, etc) would generate cyano for a period of time which i dont know if that is accurate or not. however i was told consistent 10-15% WC every other day or every three days would help deal with the problem. two weeks in all the cyano was completely gone.

12. chumslickjon

It looks like I'm still losing the battle. I thought I had it kicked but for some reason it just keeps coming back and now has even spread a little. I've had enough and this morning did my first dose of red slime remover. Again, the worst part is seeing the fuge and my chaeto get covered in this stuff. Hopefully the red slime will go away for long enough that the chaeto will resume nutrient uptake and start growing again.