Is the AquaController Apex System Worth It?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by vegasfish, Aug 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

Is the new AquaController Apex System from Neptune Systems worth the money. I have 240 gal tank mh lights dosing pumps two large external pumps and so on.

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Worth it in what sense??? Meaning is a controller worth it, or is the Apex worth it over the RK or the ACIII

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Tagging along, as I am in the market for a controller. Very interested in hearing what folks say about the Apex controller - I know several with the ReefKeeper Elite but the Apex seems great too.

5. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

As far as bang for the $$$$. I have never had a controller and I see this new one is coming soon.

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I looked at the controler. Hard to say bang for the buck. It is exspensive, but holy crap, it's like a super computer! It's capabilities are quite powerful. Seems not only could you run a home tank on it, but a whole flippin commercial aquarium. Do you really need that much power?

I have a simple set up, and a Jr. is all I need. The big difference between that and a AC III or pro is the added power. The 3 can run more probes, more power strips, more code. Also the 3 and pro has better online capabilities, connectivity, e-mail alerts, and web acess.

Seems the APEX is all of that by 10 times as much. If I were you, I would really look at just how much web acess you NEED. Is it going to be a neat trick, or something you will use regularly? The Jr. will only control 12 outlets. The III and pro can daisy chain 48.

Just keep in mind, the natural light schedules are built in to all Neptunes controller. All the added features like wave making and lunar cycles are done by add on modules. So they can all do it. Honestly, if I got wave makers like Vortec of Hydor, I would not control them with the Neptune, just turn them on and off for feeding ect. Some food for thought.

7. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

i ordered an apex and im still waiting for it to arrive. I have a ac jr sitting here still in the box too and like powerman said, the jr will do the job for my 250 im building but the apex is full of extra features and i like new toys. I also think the apex will be more user friendly, perhaps easier to program and understand....maybe not tho.

8. Click Here!

9. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Ya, I was curious how the interface would be. I expect it to be better.

10. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

luvsreefs23,

Sounds like you have a write up for 3reef in your future. I know many peoe would like to know what you think aboutthe controller.

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I also have the AC-JR and thats enough for my needs. Am not interested in connections to my computer and what not, so that feature means nothhing to me. My system is also very simple, I dont have CA reactors or ATO systems or anything fancy. Which was why I invested in the JR. I did get the JR with the serial port just in case I would use it in the future.
    You would need to sit down and think of every equipment that you will have or want to control. I think that will help you decide which model to get. If your the kind of guy that likes to have all the bells and whistles, then I think the choice is very simple. Good luck and keep us posted, I love new toys, even if its not mine.....lol

Luna

12. mscottring

mscottring Fire Shrimp

In general terms my opinion is that if you're controlling multiple lights and pumps/powerheads ANY controller is worth the money. I have a Aquacontroller Jr and love it. I'm thinking about upgrading to the AC Pro 3, to have a little more control and ethernet capability.