Is target feeding an absolute necessity?

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by sigmoid, Jul 2, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sigmoid

sigmoid Astrea Snail

I'm wondering if regular target feeding can be replaced by an abundance of refugium-bred zooplankton.
    Did anyone have success in maintaining a system where non-photosynthetic inverts are able to get the majority of their nutrition from a constant supply, or occasional saturation of live zooplankton from a refuge?
    If yes, what were the challenges and solutions in maintaining such a nutrient-rich system?

(Before people start to wonder about my sanity, my main reason for this question is that I have a plan involving filter feeders, and from what I read they are notoriously impossible to keep alive and healthy by target feeding.)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Long of the short is no. You'd need a massive refugium and said zooplankton would need a food source, they simply won't bloom in massive amounts with out massive feedings.

What exactly do you plan on keeping? Just saying NPS is no help.

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I've never spot feed anything. Only what's in the water column. 2 yrs +

I've got alot of coral, softs, lps, and mostly sps.

Good houskeeping, and Chaeto in my sump, and fish poop in the water column.

My water is crystal clear too.

PS- actually, I spot feed my 3 different nems- but those ain't coral.

5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

NPS is a whole different ballgame however.

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

+1 with gresham

It would be nearly impossible to get enough plankton. especially if you're talking NPS corals like Dendronephthya (carnation coral), and Nephthyigorgia(chili coral). however some NPS corals are much easier to keep, such as Tubastrea (sun coral) and Cirrhipathes (spiral wire coral).

IMO NPS corals are best kept in a tank dedicated to them. (only NPS corals)

7. sigmoid

sigmoid Astrea Snail

I'm thinking of tunicates mainly. :) They aren't corals, but are definitely non-photosynthetic.

How about having an external system for culturing plankton, and adding it to the tank regularly?

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I am including this link because it was one the nicest and most successful NPS tanks out there.

Reefkeeping Magazine - Tank of the Month

When you introduce zooplankton or nutrients to a system you have to balance that with water quality. NPS and non photosynthetic tunicate need a constant supply of fine particulate matter.

Sometimes they appear to be doing fine for months but it's a slow starvation.

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Of course.

My branching Gorognean, and purlple encrusting Gorg. Are they photosynthethic?

11. sigmoid

sigmoid Astrea Snail

Yep, that's what I'm trying to gather resources on, how the few successful people have achieved having constant high nutrients without harmful blooms or septic spikes.

This article was awesome by the way, thanks. :) Really educational.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  12. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I hope Matt doesn't mind, but Azoox.org • Portal is still up, just not too active. I just haven't had time to devote to the site, and Mike had his kid right after we got it rolling. The core of NPS keepers have posts on there, lotsa info to read up on.