Is sand from Home depot or lows ok

Discussion in 'Sand' started by kFAMOUSK, Oct 23, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

haha does chicken feed really work? never would have gussed that in a thousand years, already beeen said but make sure there is no silica in whatever sand you end up using

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

After almost 50 yrs of playing with saltwater tanks yrs ago thats all we had nothing was sold for marine tanks no books no experts no Carib a sea no Kent's or Sea chem nothing at all not even skimmers we had to build /make or figure out what was needed and mix or substitute it. I remember mixing up salt on the back porch as a little kid with my grand father with salt and elements from the corner drug store.. Ruby Red I think the mix was called in the late 50's ? All this stuff you now pay big bucks for is just profits for the companies.. I still mix most of anything I have to add or know where to get it by the pound for pennies then Kent's charges for dollars for a M/L ( : Until the money came there was nothing for sale.

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Like crushed oyster shell the ground up into sand limestone is just calcium for the eggs to make the shell harder and not crack..As is the dolomite We used to dissolve the dolomite into their drinking water.. and fed it to all the racing pigeons also. for eggs and health as well as Louguls Iodine I can get that for 9.00 for 16 ozs :) same stuff Kent's gets 10.00 for a oz. LOL Pigeon's and chickens need that for ease of egg laying and general health.. and durability for long distance flying Pigeons not chickens LOL And the onlt reason I ever found for iodine in any tank was a coral dip..

5. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

thats wild did you read that somewhere? or think it up?

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Who are you asking the question to Me ? If so what part ? It has all been thought of long ago.. I never read any hobby fish stuff bores me to tears LOL I never brought a HOT/Magazine either But I have built a few :) and H.P engines to go into them.. I'm near 58 yrs old and In my time I just did it never had time to read about it :) Being old country farm boy we had a good grasp on what animals needed and how to keep them.. Hell I love cooking also never had a recipe book either come to think of it Hey Amcarrig I need a book ..

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

A cook book or a fish tank book? We got alot of both at home :)

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

COOK BOOK I would rather play with my Playstaion then read a fish book LOL I want to learn to make pork BBQ southern style /smoky pig style Yuuuum

10. Ducksmasher

Ducksmasher Purple Spiny Lobster

easy bro, its called a cajun microwave..;D

[​IMG]

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Is that a smoker? :eek: We need one like that!

12. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

Dang! I tough it was a sand sifter