Is sand from Home depot or lows ok

Discussion in 'Sand' started by kFAMOUSK, Oct 23, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kFAMOUSK

kFAMOUSK Skunk Shrimp

Is it safe to use in a saltwater tank. should i mix it with anything or soanything to it befor putting in my tank?

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Its more then likly a silica sand (quartz) which adds no buffering like aragonite or calcite sand but you can use it. It may also cause damage to sand filtering critters.

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Its more or less crushed glass.

5. bulltrader

bulltrader Bristle Worm

I wouldn't recommend it. It's sure to have some impurities in it. And like the others said no buffering or beneficial minerals.

6. glampka

glampka Coral Banded Shrimp

Don't use it. The high silicate content will feed diatoms. There is one brand of play sand that can be used though. Name escapes me but be sure it's not silicate based. Check out some of the threads here on sand - it has been mentioned before.

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

The only sand that can be safely used from Home Depot is what used to be called "Southdown" now called Yardright\Oldcastle, it is argonite beach sand, and is same stuff LFS's sell for much more $$$ --- unfortunately it is not carried by most of the Home Depot outlets. You might be lucky. You could always request a special order.

See: YardRight/OldCastle Tropical Play Sand

[​IMG]

Description
    From the YardRight website:

Tropical Play Sand from the Caribbean is sterilized and silica-free.

From the Caribbean our Tropical Play Sand from YardRightâ„¢ Select is all-natural product from the Caribbean. It has a bright white color and a pure, soft feel. It's screened, sterilized and safe for kids.

Aragonite Sand

SKU # 578-819
    UPC # 0-210026-16865-5
    Model # 420-100

Comments:
    YardRight Tropical Play Sand is an aragonite sand. It is not mined and does not contain silica dust like many playsands do. Many playsands are made from crushed rock which is mined and filled with impurities that should not be in any crabitat.

Many playsands contain crystalline silica, also known as quartz. Exposure to crystalline silica dust can cause lung diseases such as silicosis. Crystalline silica is a colorless mineral, also called quartz. It is an ingredient in sand and flint, which are used in making glass, cement, and concrete.

While the playsand you find in ToysRUs and other places is a lot less expensive this is one case where quality of a product far outweighs the cost.

You could also try to order online here.

Order online here: Just Phish ---

Even with shipping, you save bundles of money if you needed a couple of bags or more.

Good Luck

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  8. Click Here!

9. Krazy

Krazy Plankton

I know its more expensive but I'd stick with a aragonite based sand.

10. Gaspare

Gaspare Astrea Snail

I use chicken feed. (sometimes called chick grit) it comes in different sizes and is white. I have used it for years in my reef with out a problem. It costs about $7.00 for 50 lb bag. I buy it from ritchies feed and seed in Ottawa. But I am sure a co-op or feed store would carry it. It does need to be rinsed but it is clean and safe for chicken to swallow, it helps with the high clacium needs.

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I used that for yrs myself as i did the crushed oyster shell and simple old Dolomite I switched to the higher end stuff when I stared to play with Plenum's and some other exotic type systems But yes its great and is pure lime stone ground out into a fine grit type sand

12. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

here chic, chic, chicy LOL

I find myself wondering were you guys come up with these solutions, I guess its just the years of experiance hey???