Is Purple Up smart?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by byrodoc, Apr 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Scraping it off the glass spreads spores/seeds throughout the tank. "Seeding" your tank with coralline is a common practice for kickstarting it in new tanks and/or adding new colored coralline.
    We used to dislike coralline in the "fish only" days. Note that l/r wasn't included. Reminds me of when I started to hear about this new stuff called "live rock".

2. Click Here!

3. chetrod

chetrod Peppermint Shrimp

How do you use the epsom salt to dose? New to adding coral and was not aware that the inexpensive epson salt will help with Mg.

I too never tested for Mg, dkh, or Phospates in the past now will be getting a good test kit to test for all the new needs of the corals I guess. I have always tested Nitrites, Ammonia, PH, Calcium, and just added Nitrates. Will soon be adding Mg, dkh, Iodine, and phosphates.

4. hanginten

hanginten Astrea Snail

If you are going to go this route, my LFS suggested coralline stimulator from Florida Aqua Farms, they stated it was twice as good for about 5 bucks less.
    I figured if they wanted to sell me something cheaper than what i had in my hand, must be good stuff.

I haven't really noticed any change after using it though.

5. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

I dump a small handful in my sump or overflow every week (or 2 when I remember) and jsut let it disolve and do its thing. Test your Mg and adjust accordingly - keep an eye on your calcium, these two are notorious for fighting one another

1 person likes this.
  6. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

i like aragamilk for an easy to dose product.

7. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

i tried pu and stopped .after realizing scraping it combined with great water works great.then i started using it as Ca supplement but also stopped after getting argonite sand now i replenish my sand ever 3 months or so and now thats great so now i just add sand and my Coraline seems to thrive now

8. Click Here!

9. Alex

Alex Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I use purple up, its done well so far. But I like it for the CA and the iodine, shrimps molt well lol. I think if you have a healthy system and coraline algae present, it seems to spread either way.