Is my XENIA DYING??? HELP

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Tight Lipped, Mar 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tight Lipped

Tight Lipped Astrea Snail

The 10 gal was on $25 to be used to QT fish and treat if sick, I never intended to use it for corals or inverts.

I am aware that the xenia uses light for food but it also extracts it from the water from plankton. From Drs Foster and Smith

"They contain the symbiotic algae zooxanthellae from which they receive the majority of their nutritional requirements."

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

check it out

Pulsating Xenia

4. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

It will pull it out of the water but not off the rocks, under the edges of the silicone, substrate or any other thing that is in the tank. which will leach into the water eventually.

In any case its not safe for invets, this is why it says For freshwater or saltwater fish-only aquariums on the bottle.

5. Tight Lipped

Tight Lipped Astrea Snail

Latest Update

Checked the parameters and everything looks ok except the Nitrate, seemed to be a little high around 12 to 20. The calcium is around 350 and the Dkh was 6 so I added some buffer to get that higher.

I added purple up 5ml everyday to get the coraline to spread

reading the bottle for the plankton it must have not been adding enough, it says use 5ml / 15 gal every other day so that is 4 capfuls, I added that last night and may be a factor in the improvement in my xenia. I use to only add 1 cap twice weekly but I also add some cyclopeeze with reef suppliments and zoe.

Good news is today it showed a little more life with one polyp pulsing a little, I moved it up as high as I could in the aquarium by using the glass cleaner magnet as a ledge, it is getting a little more flow as well.

I am and have been having trouble getting the calcium above 350, I started adding 1/8 tsp of turbo calcium yesterday and today, will check again tonight and will continue until it is above 400 then i will go back to maintenance dosing.

I use kalwasser to dose once weekly by adding 2 tbs to a gallon of fresh water, I also add 5ml strontium and 5ml of liquid calcium and 1tbs of dkh superbuffer.

I just feel like I have to add alot of chemicals to keep this thing going is this what everyone does?

Secondly, I have been trying to get my water turnover higher but my overflow box is at its max, does anyone know where to get the best deal on overflow boxes?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  6. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

my xenia was really touchy for about the first 2 weeks, it would randomly open up and pulse then stop for a day or 2, now their about 15x the size they were 2 months ago when i got them and if the lights are on their pulsing

the big thing with xenia's ive noticed is dont panic, i thought mine were dead after a couple of days, turns out their just really finicky when i do water changes it's not uncommon to see them stop pulsing for a day or so then start back up

7. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

would anyone fresh water dip sps? if so, why? if not, why?

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

No. I have no reason why besides the fact that anytime I did, the corals would rtn.

10. Notturnia

Notturnia Bristle Worm

never did and will never do.. as if the coral has a trouble (stress etc..) you will kill the coral and the "enemy" you think to kill may survive..

many kind of hostile-liveform will survive fresh water and many corals can be killed if not in perfect status.. and a frag isnt usually in perfect health condition .. soft coral even less. as they have a part cutted away where the water can be adsorbed and kill them..

on sps you can kill polips and other life-form can survive and then eat the coral that isnt healty after the fresh water..

i usually check it in saltwater and then put in my tank after acclimatization..

i may be wrong.. but i wont risk to kill a coral i bought..

11. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

then why would someone fw dip xenia?

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Beats me. I prefer using coral dips as mentioned earlier.