Is my XENIA DYING??? HELP

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Tight Lipped, Mar 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

The reason you use a fresh water dip is to help insure your not putting any hitchhikers in your tank that you don't want like I have had back when I didn't I got Flat worms and had a nice little Monti eating Nudi. I couldn't get off of the monti because he was in between ridges so I put it into fresh water and it dropped right off.

I don't do fish either because it makes a stressful situation even more stressfull

I dip all of my corals, including my Xenia's even when I move them from tank to tank when thinning them out one tank. I use a fresh water dip using this receipie and I have never had any problems so I really don't think the Dip did anything.

My Xenia's will however scrunch up to a fraction of their original size occasionally and remain that way for several days. Be patient I am sure it will open back up. I wold however watch them and if they start looking like thay are melting remove them from you tank right away because they are dying.

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Xenia is known for letting the aquarist know of potential water quality issues. They'll indicate when there is issues with water quality by closing. Check parameters if they're ok then it did possibly get stung. KH and nitrates are issues with P. Xenia check those first.

4. Tight Lipped

Tight Lipped Astrea Snail

Some good info here, hopefully all is well but if I have to move it then to where? I do have a 10 gallon HT setup with 2 cromies and 1 purple fish (forget the species name). I put some copper in it about 6 weeks ago maybe longer and it has been setup for a while so I could move it there but the lighting is not that great.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If you had copper in the tank, it will kill any invert that you put in there.

6. Tight Lipped

Are corals considered inverts? And I thought the copper dissipates over time???

I use the tank to Quarantine any fish I bring home only, I keep the three in there to keep the cycle up.

7. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Yes Corals are inverts, no coper does not dissipate as far as I know and you can never get it completely out of a tank. Yes it will most likely KILL any coral you put into that tank. I have heard of people tossing perfectly good tanks because someone once used copper in them. I am assuming that your parameters are OK, but as missionsix66 states they are a real good indication of whats going on with you water. If mine remain closed more that a couple of days I do a water change and usually they open right up.

8. Click Here!

9. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

I read somewhere that ozone completely oxidise's copper? ? ? ? ? ? ?

10. Tight Lipped

I am using the mardel coppersafe and it says the dose last for one month and can be removed through carbon filtration.

It has only been a few days and I am hoping they pulled in some food from the weekend feeding and the cyclopeeze I added.

11. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

i believe xenia rely on light alone for energy

12. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

yep, only light, and copper will screw you tank for ever. Good thing its not a larger tank or i would have shot myself if i were you :p