Is my water ok?

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Destimondia, Jan 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. phil_n_fish

phil_n_fish Astrea Snail

If your fish have came from a fish store then it more likely has already been in a high ammonia environment. Im not saying put a fish in a tank right after you fill it. I usually wait a week or two before adding something if any. lol I wont be that cruel.

2. Click Here!

3. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

lol its just a fish guys

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

what do you mean its just a fish? that fish was prob captured in his home happy environment that we spend hundreds if not thousands to replicate that environment and make it the best home we can for them! And if a 25 cent dead shrimp accomplishes the same thing, why in the world use a live animal that will suffer during the process? If its just a fish, do you let your fish just die if they get sick, or do you treat them?

Just not sure why you'd do it if you know there are other options!

5. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

+1. I don't know what to say. ;D

6. phil_n_fish

phil_n_fish Astrea Snail

you're making me feel bad now lol let me go to my bathroom and hang myself with my own shoe laces jk the dead shrimp thing doesnt always end with a happy ending. just because your tank has cycled completely using dead shrimp doesnt mean all the bad bacteria is out. if a fish has an injury, it can get sick in a more extreme way. Thats why you shouldn't buy a fish if there are many dead fish in that same tank. It can transmit diseases. Not just fish to fish but to the owner too. Salmonella is a common disease found among aquarium fish. Trust me, you wont want your kids playing near your fish tank if its flowing with that kind of bacteria.

7. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I have never heard of Salmonella poisoning from a home aquarium. :confused: Honestly I think you are over thinking this whole shrimp thing.

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Just my $.02 I wouldn't buy a fish from a tank that has one dead fish! But, don't feel bad, heck i did the same thing, but then i read and changed my mind! I just think its a REALLY BAD IDEA to advocate that way of doing it! The dead shrimp or bacteria in a bottle seems the way to go! Ya can always just use ammonia too! I've even heard of people peeing in the tank! although let's face it, thats gross!

But I will stand firm on the it's just a fish stance! It's a expensive little fish, that you bought to raise and grow! i think basic morals and ethics dictates that you do the best you can for that fish! And BTW, I hunt, so i'm not a loony hippy!(sorry to all you hippys!;) Just not sure why you'd put an animal through torture when there's a 25 cent option! Like i said, I did it, but they did suffer! Since then I've read up on it and learned other ways!

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

+1 it prob won't be the last dead shrimp/crab/fish/snail in the aquarium! just the first!

Not trying to make ya feel bad! Just not a good idea to tell someone to do it that way!

Happy reefing!

11. phil_n_fish

phil_n_fish Astrea Snail

I'm just saying. why not just do a live rock cycling? it helps in a positive way anyway. and yea the salmonella thing is possible(google it). but if theres a slight chance then it shouldn't be recommended if you have kids around.

12. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

+1. I would say the best way if I had to do it all over again from scratch would be to get some good quality cultured LR and start with Microbacter7. That would be my preferred method of choice now. ;D