Is My Water OK? I killed 3 fish during acclamation.

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by schabiazabi, Mar 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. timm

timm Plankton

I see the biggest problem with people getting in the hobby is they just dont take it slow enough in the beginning. I was the same way years ago when I first got into the fresh water hobby. And there are similarities when it comes to introducing livestock. You dont mention how long you let your tank cycle first. I'd stop adding fish until you get this right. Keep some clean up crew and a couple of damsels for now. change 20% of your water every 2 weeks using a good quality salt. You may have just got off to the wrong start using tap water. Test your nitrites every 2 weeks along with your alk and calcium. when things are stable add some livestock a little at a time and keep monitoring. having a 4 stage ro unit and a good skimmer cleaned every week is important. you'll get it right!

2. Click Here!

3. dand355

dand355 Astrea Snail

i'd keep useing tap water you had no problems with the first fish.

4. schabiazabi

schabiazabi Astrea Snail

Some update:

Some update:

Attached Files:

• rock.jpg
      rock.jpg
      File size:
      107.5 KB
      Views:
  5. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Really nice 'scape IMHO!!!

Really love the tonga pieces sticking up!!!

You know what kind of tank you are going with yet? FOWLR? Reef? Mixed?

Looks great so far!

6. schabiazabi

schabiazabi Astrea Snail

Was planning on a reef tank, but the Tonga looks good enough for me :)
    This is my Test Tank, just to see if I can manage to make it work as a FOWLR. Then I will add reef. And finally when it all works in 1 year I have a place for a 1200G tank in my house, so I may do that.

Well, my tab water is a disaster and it is listed as one of the worst water in US.
    My Angel that I have from the beginning is fine in the RODI water. What was giving me hard time was acclamation. I was doing it wrong.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

The tank looks great, the scape looks ideal for an angel. A lot of swimming room with a lot of nooks for them to graze in.

8. Click Here!

9. BTowned

BTowned Peppermint Shrimp

If you are buying fish from a LFS, then I would float the bag, catch the fish with my hand, and toss it in. I do that with all my fish, only time I have had one die, was when it jumped out of the tank months later.

I'm not sure why you would do a freshwater dip on a new fish, if you QT your fish, most people treat the fish with Copper or Chloroquine - for ich and other external parasites
    Praziquantel for flukes etc.,..

IMO, perhaps your acclimation period is too high for fish bought locally. Try getting a nice healthy fish that you know has been in the store for a few weeks. Watch the fish, ask if you can watch it eat etc...make sure it isn't getting punked by other fish....this stresses out a fish, and you never want to buy a stressed fish. Also, remember, a lot of stores will put copper in their fish tanks, so never put that water into your main tank, if there is a possiblity you will have corals in there one day. Other than that, if you are not going to be doing a two-three week QT, just temp acclimate your fish by floating the bag, and dump that fish in the tank.

10. BTowned

BTowned Peppermint Shrimp

11. schabiazabi

schabiazabi Astrea Snail

^ I will test the water as my town has the worst water in US. Thanks for the link.

I do a freshwater dip with methylene blue to remove as much external parasites as possible (mostly fluke and other unseen to the eye problems).

I do not treat or want to treat my fish with copper. For Marine Ich I want to perform Hyposalinity (least stressful). BTW, Seachem Cupramine is the only safe medication for Marine Ich. As of now I never had Marine Ich. It is really bad stores add copper to their water. I have also seen a store where fish literally swim in methylene blue.

That is true, will change that next time.

Thanks for the link.

12. loaded_guy

loaded_guy Astrea Snail

The following is a time tested method of cleaning new fish or those that have been stressed and in need of QT:

"I do a freshwater dip with methylene blue to remove as much external parasites as possible (mostly fluke and other unseen to the eye problems)."

Another way is the following:

Paraguard by Seachem is another outstanding product to run in a QT tank for incoming fish or again those that have suffered from stress in the main display tank.