Is my tree splitting? Worried.

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Babytank, Jul 3, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Babytank

Babytank Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Has anyone had experience with watching a tree coral split? It's my first one, and yesterday it was fine. Today it is fine,actually,is the picture of health. It has two thick main "trunks",and the branches are streched upward and out like a tree, polyps everywhere, bright fleshy color(slightly orange).
    The thing is, overnight, it developed a smooth hole at it's base. All day it's been getting larger,and the one trunk seems to be losing it's grip on the rock. Funny thing is, it still looks so healthy. You can read what I have in my tank on my signature, but no one in the tank seems to be bothering it.
    Any advise would be so appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

It looks to me as if it is going through asexual reproduction!

1 person likes this.
  4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

:confused: Is there a pic here I am missing??

"tree coral" is kind of a general term...could be Kenya tree, colt or leather.

Leathers do not generally "split" in my experience...grow new branches, yes. "'Split" no. At least not on their own. If injured in some way, expect separate pieces will grow just fine as that is what we do to propagate them.

Kenya trees are dropping "branches" and tips all the time. Is way they spread themselves around...and do they ever...::)

Good luck with whatever....

1 person likes this.
  5. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

its splitting and you say its a "tree coral" ? what kind ? have a pic that we might see what type ?
    It sound as if it's on the move... xeania does the same thing by either budding from the main parent and growing or by splitting and/or releasing from the rock and moving to make another colony of it's self.

1 person likes this.
  6. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

looks like its just splitting and moving apart.they can also drop branches they drift away to another spot.

1 person likes this.
  7. Babytank

I'm worried it will just fall off the rock!

Thanks for replying all, I just love this site! Such knowlege and so helpful!

So, The picture of the coral is the one I entered in the potm contest, I took the photo yesterday, not a sign of anything. It is also on my profile and signature (as I'm learning how to do things on this site). From what I know, It is a spaghetti finger tree coral. The second "trunk" is almost completely detached from the rock now,but a small part of the bases are still connected.

I am getting photos now, and will share them later, I have to go out of town.

I am so worried the darn thing will just fall off the rock and die while I'm gone!
    What do I do if it does fall off,glue it to a rock? I haven't learned about that yet! It just looks so healthy now. Nothing else is falling off at all.
    Thanks again all!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  8. Click Here!

9. Babytank

Here is the coral in question!

[​IMG]The photo quality went down in the downsizing process, but now the trunk on the right is separate on the backside only.

10. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

sounds and looks to me like your gonna soon have two.

1 person likes this.
  11. tarheel

tarheel Skunk Shrimp

Looks like you could just go ahead and separate them, and glue the unattached one to a new location. Just a suggestion, but if you are going out of town then at least you would be more assured. Wait for someone with more experience to chime in but this seems like the best idea to me if you are leaving soon.

1 person likes this.
  12. Babytank

The tree is going thru alot!

Okay,right after I last posted, I had to leave. Caretaker never turned on the lights!!!! OHHH. I came home to a very droopy,purple tree. The right half was falling off the rock. I was quite upset, but I took the baster and propped it back up against another rock, put "Coral Vital" (from the Mark Weiss company) in the water and put the lights on all night.
    The next morning i'll be darned! It looked fit as a fiddle!!!!
    The only thing I can think is........it loves me and missed me,or i'm just darn lucky!
    So, I think it didn't have the energy to do anymore separating while I was gone. Now, I still think I need to separate it. I know nothing about that, so it's read read read for me!
    Thanks to all again for helping with my plight!