Is my torch coral healthy?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by yheartsp, Jun 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. REDMANS CUBE

REDMANS CUBE Fire Shrimp

i would move it up higher and get it some more flow. sorry i shouldnt have said dying the 2 heads are dead for sure, and for a little while with the algea growth on the skeleton. if 2heads have died, unless you improve the conditions, at least from were the lfs had them i (you) shouldnt be suprised if the rest follows suite. but if your tank is well suited for them they should be ok. (lighting and water params)

2. Click Here!

3. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

That torch looks nice and I really like your tank too.

4. REDMANS CUBE

REDMANS CUBE Fire Shrimp

they dont like intense light. and what i meant buy more flow, is that where it is right now kinda looks like a dead spot it ur tank. what size is your tank and what size is that hydor. you may want to put the return from your canister on the opp. end as ur intake.

5. yheartsp

yheartsp Purple Spiny Lobster

thanks! but i think the current should be quite okay now. it's tentacles are waving softly all the time ;D i'm just wondering whether i needs to be places higher for more lights. oh i'm sure my conditions are better than the LFS! it was all retracted there :-/

6. madlarkin

madlarkin Peppermint Shrimp

My torch has done the best in the deadest area of flow of my tank that is also the most shaded. It has enough current that it will slowly "waft" around but is pretty darn slow. When moved from a more central highly lit area with more flow it absolutely exploded in growth and size.

7. yheartsp

is your torch the same colour as mine too? i notice that when the lights are off. some of the tentacles deflate and turn green! is that normal? and i can't seem to find it's mouth, because i'm planning to feed it little pieces of meat per week to get it growing :eek:

BTW, how do i know if it's happy with it's current position??

8. Click Here!

9. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

With t5's it should be okay where it is..if it starts looking unhappy though try moving it up

1 person likes this.
  10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Yep, torch's really don't need much light at all. Should be fine at the bottom of your tank with the T5's.
    Once or twice a month, feed it some small pieces of krill or silversides ;)

11. yheartsp

okay! thanks everyone for the quick replies :)
    i have one question though, what temperature do you guys keep your reefs at? i have no chiller and my room temp is 28 to 29 celcius. max of 1 degree fluctuation. is that bad? :(

12. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

Right now mine is at 27..pretty normal for my tank..29 may be pushing it though..