Is my tank cycled or not started? NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by littlea8, Mar 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. littlea8

littlea8 Astrea Snail

well everyones telling me not to worry about the PH yet and when if i were to change the water then it will increase the PH...plus i havent had time to buy the PH buffer...for now i was just trying to figure out if my tank is cycled

2. Click Here!

3. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Who is telling you not to worry about your pH? I haven't seen anyone say that in this thread. And no, your tank isn't cycled. You need 3 or 4 more weeks.

4. Beamerhack

Beamerhack Coral Banded Shrimp

Take it from me, I learned the hard way. You tank is not cycled for at least 3 months. YOu will have crazy stuff happen to the tank the whoel time. Algae blooms Cyno etc...

Take it from me,

Wait wait wait wait.... and when you think it is done wait another 2 weeks. You will only save yourself time and money.

To be serious though, I started my tank in November of last year. It is barely getting to the point now where I will say it is stable. (and I dont mean completely either I just mean things have been the same for a while)

Another thing to say about this whole "Cycle" process is when your tank is cycled it is NOT ready to have 10 fish and 20 corals in it right then. Add things very slow.

Your newly cycled tank is very fragile and adding to much to fast can just cause your livestock to become stressed and die.

5. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

As a matter of fact, I just went back through the pages of this thread and saw 5 or 6 other people telling you that you need to raise your pH. Did you really miss ALL of those? Your cycle won't complete correctly or quickly until you do.

6. littlea8

littlea8 Astrea Snail

my local fish store told me not to worry....and they said to change 50% of the water when i reach the point of nitrates...so i dunno im just going with what ppl tell me

1 person likes this.
  7. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Your LFS is only out to make a buck and isn't in it for your best interests. We here at 3reef ARE. If your LFS is telling you that, I would suggest finding a different LFS.

8. Click Here!

9. littlea8

littlea8 Astrea Snail

okay i will try to get the PH to the right level...and wait longer right?

10. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Yes, please do. All you need is what's called a "pH Buffer." The fish stores all sell it. 8.2 or 8.3 is a good number. And then, again, yes please wait. 2 weeks at the absolute least. Test once every couple of days once you get your pH right and I think you will see a big difference.

11. littlea8

littlea8 Astrea Snail

okay thank you...i will let you know of the results along the way

12. 50JumpChump

50JumpChump Flamingo Tongue

Hows it looking?? Doing good??