Is my sebae anemone dying?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by infamous, Mar 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I just got this guy couple of days ago. I got it after a 30% water change. I usually get corals and fish on the day of water change to ease their transition.

All levels are excellent. pH is 8.4. I have 2 x 250w 14000k MH, 1x10,000k, 1 x 15000k and 2 x Actinic T5HO

Salinity is 1.025, All levels are 0, Mag 1400, Ca - 450, Alk - 8

The first day i target fed it cyclopeze. I don't know if it ate it or not. It opened up the next day and looked pretty good. This morning it looked awesome, it was fully open untill the lights came on. The MH come on much later but it was already that way before other lights came on.

It has one baby moroon clown trying to host it. Rest of my tank is doing awesome, all corals looks great and so do the fish.

Is this thing dying and should i remove it now?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

it's fine

Give it more substantial food than Cyclopeeze though. Frozen Krill would be good.

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

The PH is 4.0? Or is that a typo?
    It really does not look good, at all. Does it still have its footing? Is it slimy or sticky? Also, does it have a foul smell?

5. infamous

I meant 8.4 sorry. I can't smell it from in the tank lol. Should i take it out and smell it?

I'm gona buy some krill today and target feed it. Maybe it just need to be nursed back to health. I just don't know if it's dying or adjusting.

6. weboddity

weboddity Astrea Snail

I haven't owned a Sebae anemone, but when my rose bubble tip anemone deflates and expels waste / fills up with new water, it looks at least as sorry as that. It ends up, as Karen would say, "...shrinking up so much that you think they are dying but are not."

The advice given me here in regards to my sick-upon-purchase anemone is summed up by PackLeader as follows:
    EDIT - ^^ lol PackLeader for the win.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

No really. As they are dying they produce a HORRID smell. Its a smell you soon won't forget if you ever smell it. I've personally had a sebae wipe out an entire tank.
    If its footing is good and its still sticky, I wouldnt pull it to smell it. Thats just added stress. And if it still has its footing and is sticky, it is probably fine. Those are the first two indicators usually.

8. Click Here!

9. infamous

Should i try to move it and see if it's holding its footing. And also if its dying wouldnt the clown get away from it? I seems to be holding the footing but looks like it changed direction from yesterday.

Lets say it expands tonight after the lights are off. What does that mean?

10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

It could just be shrunk up, expelling water. Anemones are strange creatures. If it had lost its footing you would know. It would be tumbling around everywhere in the current. A change from last night is fine, they can and will move around.

11. infamous

Thanks for the advice guys. It looks a bit different now. Should i go ahead and feed it krill anyway? What else can i do to ease the recovery, like feed it some reef chilli or something else?. I will do another water change this sunday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

don't do anything drastic. that is how my seabea looked when I got it. Part of the acclamation process is it will deflate and inflate sevrel times. It does look very white but that is expected as you have just recived it and it probably had a stressfull time in transit. Key thing now is to give it the light it needs and maybe feed once a week if that. If it shrinks down and trys to hide at night that is normal. there will be a very drastic change if it is dying very (shrivled looking)give it some time I am sure it will be fine. congrats also.