Is My Scolymia Healthy

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by justonwo, Aug 25, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

The bugs are most likely eating the dead tissue. I hope you save him, it's pretty

2. Click Here!

3. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Thanks, I'll do what I can. My water parameters all seem to be getting close to the right ranges now. dKH = 9, Ca = 520 ppm, Mg = 1530.

4. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

I put a few pellets of fish food around the scolymia and turned out all the lights so it was pitch black. Within a few minutes, it's feeder tentacles were out and I fed it some mysis shrimp. It ate a huge mouthful. With the water parameters converging on where they need to be, hopefully this guy will bounce back. This is becoming my #1 project for the tank. Make this scolymia look glorious.

DSC reef likes this.
  5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Good luck! I hope it comes back for you - it is really pretty! scolys are very expensive in this neck of the woods

justonwo likes this.
  6. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Thanks, this will be my near term challenge. I think I can do it! I've got the alkalinity around 9 and the Ca and Mg where they need to be. So the water quality should be fine. Just need to keep feeding it. What would you suggest? A few times a week perhaps? Every day too often?

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Yes every three days is more then enough.Theres more to water quality then what you listed.;)

DSC reef likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Indeed, I think all of the other parameters of importance have been controlled within reason.

pH = 8.2 and has been for several weeks
    Temp = 79-80 °F
    SG of water = 1.025
    Phosphate = 0.5 ppm (API test, which I'm not sure I trust anymore), perhaps this needs to be lowered
    NH3 = 0
    Nitrate = < 5 ppm
    Nitrite = 0 ppm

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Just remember the more food you add the more waste you have to remove.lps corals do not require spot feeding at all to remain healthy provided there is a nutrient source(fish).
    They will grow slower but when space is limited its actually a good thing. It's not a race to see who can grow corals the fastest. ☺

insanereefer420 likes this.
  11. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Good point, Vinnyboombatz. Taking deep breaths and patiently waiting.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  12. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Sort of a stupid question, maybe, but should I be trying to get the grains of sand that inevitably wash up onto my scolymia off the top?