Is my Open-Brain coral dead?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by mallasee, Jan 11, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mallasee

mallasee Astrea Snail

Hello Everyone, I have a 75 gal reef tank. I have pc lights that give me 3 watts per gallon. I bought an Open-Brain coral from my LFS 4 months ago. The guy said my lights would be adequate. The coral did fantastic for about 2 months. Often inflating to 2 times its normal size. Then an outbreak of red slime algae occurred. Red slime totally covered my Brain coral. It no longer inflates and many of its skeleton ridges are exposed. Also, in the center of the coral there is a black line that seems to run into the center of the coral. I tried to get the algae from the coral with no real success. I moved the coral from the sand and to the highest point in the tank so it could get some light and recover. Needless to say it did not work and I don't know if there is hope for recovery. Can anyone help me? :-[

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

you should buy a slime algae removing product and see if that can help with the algae outbreak...as for the coral...most corals can heal if the conditions are right...good luck

4. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

I think I would move it away from the light. Not exactly hide it in a cave, but leaving it in the sand is good. Read this article on Reefkeeping:

The Little Brain that could

Just do what he did to save it. And make sure your water parameters are impecable. I would use the red slime remover, and a phosphate remover filter media afterwards. Just to be safe.

1 person likes this.
  5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

You beat me to that artical. That is an amazing recovery.

Good Luck with your Brain I hope it recovers

J

6. mallasee

mallasee Astrea Snail

Thanks for the help eveyone. I have moved to brain to the sand and placed a powerhed near by. Sad to say that the brain got picked clean by my peppermint shrimp overnight.

1 person likes this.
  7. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

Sorry to hear that. I say let's make Peppermint Jambalaya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J/K here's some Karma.