is my new anemone Dead?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by aesp533262, Mar 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

You still haven't told me what your parameters are, lighting, age of tank, and filtration. All this information is very important to help you figure out what is going on.

2. Click Here!

3. aesp533262

aesp533262 Spaghetti Worm

tank set up since july 09. 90 gallon w/ corner overflow, 30gal sump, 2 x 150 w metal halide 2 x 96 w actinics. 100lbs live rock, 2 x koralia 4 circulation pumps. all test using API Saltwater and reef tests...

PH at (or about) 8.0 -8.2, purpleish on the little card.
    Nitrite at 0
    Nitrates at 0
    Ammonia at 0
    Phosphates at 0
    Calcium at 460 ppm
    Alk at 10dkh

These were tested this morning. I have just transitioned to Reef Crystals and have done 2 water changes with it, but this was about a month ago now.

4. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I think your nem will be fine and that you just need to give it a few days to acclimate.

5. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

you just made me very happy. most people that get nems have NO idea what to do with them. they dont know much and arent very educated about them.

you however, seem to have done your research (somethings still get us, like the gaping mouth) but you have waited nearly the appropriate time for one, your water params are great, just leave it be for a while.

6. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

its doesnt look healthy to me... usually (or so i have read) when its mouth is gapping its not a good sign.

7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

A continually gaping mouth is a bad sign. When they poop or change their water in them they will have a gaping mouth.

Any updates?

8. Click Here!

9. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

80º is a bit warm for anemones. They are cooler water animals, I kept my water at 76º when my nems were alive. The reason is that there is more dissolved oxygen in cooler water than warmer water and anemones need a high concentration of oxygen for their tissues. When they expel the water and reinflate, they are either trying to absorb more oxygen or rid the CO2 rich water after feeding (pooping). Anemones tend to do better in lower kelvin lighting due to the zooxanthellae, like 10000K bulbs. 6700K would do best, but that usually leads to algae problems in the tank.

10. aesp533262

aesp533262 Spaghetti Worm

***update***

So its been a week, and Im glad to say that the anemone is just fine, i think. It definitely looks better, fully blooms and moves around now. I was going to take a picture today and post a question as to "is it normal for an anemone to extend its foot so far" but this morning when i woke up i find that it has moved underneath a large rock i use as a cave. There is no light in there, and im sure he will realize this later and will move, but should i just leave it alone and let it figure this out or move it to a better spot?

11. eddy38

eddy38 Spaghetti Worm

Don't be surprised if he doesn't move, mine hangs upside down out of a cave he has been in since the first time i got him. In the daytime he stretches out an unbelivable amount around the rock. The elasticity of these creatures freaks me out. In the pic you can kinda see it's stalk stretched out to get the head to the light.
    Glad yours made it!!!!

Attached Files: