Is my nem already gone?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by April Hope, Feb 7, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

True. We went ahead tonight and did another 5 gal water change and will again tomorrow. I love that crazy anemone, he's not dying on my watch lol.

2. Click Here!

3. kornaco40B

kornaco40B Spaghetti Worm

:) Sounds like he's being well-cared for then! =] Hope it all goes well.

4. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

I'll keep updating for advice but thank you to everyone! This forum always gives me great advice.

5. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

dont add prime....keep up with waterchanges.... the less gunk you add to your system the better IMO

cody3819 likes this.
  6. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

I did decide not to add the prime, it looks to be more for water to alleviate chlorine when your not using RODI. We're going to do several small water changes and go from their. :)

7. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

its looking better, still would be good to know why in Neptune you have an ammonia spike.....It may be far fectched what Im about to say but could it stem from the fact you fed your nem to frequently?.....I know im starting to sound monotonous here, but the only food they really require is light...the OCCASIONAL piece of small shrimp can be offered to see the cool eating behavior but it should not be offered often....internal bacterial infections can develop from undigested food and maybe ammonia?.....thats in the worst case scenario, the best case scenario is your nem "vomits" what it hasn't digested and then that drifts under a rock and decays.....causing ammonia...

your beneficial bacteria should be able to quickly eliminate the ammonia though..... c'est un mystère!!!!

8. Click Here!

9. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

Not monotonous at all! I think I way over feed. And I think you are 100% correct. I feed several different things and thought it would be ok with my skimmer and dump and sock and carbon! I'm thinking I'm wrong. So I think you are are right. I feed flakes daily (veggie). Sometimes I feed bloom meal worms flakes, then 2 to 3 times a week we feed mysis, usually 2. AND, my husband likes to feed raw frozen shrimp to the nem'S. Also, we supplement phytofeast sometimes. And about every 2-3!weeks I put a little sheet of nori for the tangs. I have 2

10. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Get or build an Algae Scrubber.

Santa Monica is going to start owning me for testimonials, but they work.

11. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

12. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

In the wild nems are are either photosynthetic or they eat due to living in low light conditions. But either way they eat smaller portions of shrimp,scallops and other things that would be floating in the water column. There tentacles would catch the smaller pieces of food and then they would eat and digest. They would then use this for there zooenthilya (excuse spelling) which this is a sugary type bacteria, gives them there color but also its what they mostly feed on.... This is basically what gives them the lion share of there energy .... Reason I'm saying this is because if you have good lighting a nem should only get feed at most once a week, and very small pieces of missus shrimp, scallops and other things of that nature. It takes a lot of energy for them to digest big meals, and as previously stated they can get infections from the food sitting in the belly's. So if you have adequate lighting feeding is not that critical. Now I feed my nem once a week, and I allow it to catch the food with its tentacles like in the wild...... What it catches it eats and whatever it misses my fish eat. When feeding store bought shrimp be careful there are preservatives sometime added for storage purposes. A nem has a very simple digestive system so that may hurt them as well..... I buy frozen missus from my LFS I also mix in Bryn shrimp. Now Bryn has less nutritional value than missus but it give it a mix of shrimp. My way isn't the best or the only way, just an example. Hope this helps....

kornaco40B likes this.