is my long tentacle plate coral dying pics attached

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by muggle, Sep 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

OK, but the poster did not just say "good luck". What they said was

If they do not believe the sand is a good place for it (as evidenced by the context of their post) then, they think it will die in the sand... It is kind of like saying "Go jump off a bridge. Good luck with it."

Are you saying that the internet is not a good research tool? I suppose that it may be possible that someone who collects these animals or spends much time in their habitat could answer the question... and I believe that they could either post on the internet, OR be quoted on the internet as saying such.

Most of the links I posted were articles. The pictures are supplemented to the articles. I am not posting just pictures. Please read the articles.

If you wish to remove yourself from the discussion, then so be it. I am not looking to argue or make false claims. I posted a statement that I believe they should live in sand. You posted without much information backing your claim as a response in disagreement with my post. I posted a reply, with a few articles, including one by a well respected marine aquarium writer and zoologist.

If we can't use the forums for healthy discussion, whether we agree or disagree, then what are they good for?

I would seriously like for someone to show me good evidence that Heliofungia actiniformis should live on rocks. Other than a few pictures of specific species (that are not Heliofungia actiniformis) no one has produced any real evidence to support the claim.

Telling me that you had an animal for two years in the sand and then it suddenly dies does not support the claim, either. You could use the same cause/effect relationship to say that just because you had the animal in an aquarium for two years it died.

2. Click Here!

3. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I am sorry but I really do not see any challenge. There is way more evidence of Plate corals living on the sand than on the rock or coral heads. Even on the site with all those pictures I see at least 3 that are on sand.

These corals are known to move quite readily and do quite often so if they are attached to the rock they cannot which I am not sure is good or bad. One of the articles mentions that the Older one seem to be on the substrate and the younger ones up on the rocks.

I have 2 one LT and one ST, both have lived on the sand since I got them and I have had no issues with either. I have had both for 2 years the LT for almost 2.5. I truly feel that feeding is critical to their survival, if you do not spot feed them they will not survive. I have been spot feeding mine 3 times a week with Mysis and a shot of Rods Original. Not only is it good for them its really cool to watch them move the food from the outer reaches of the plate to the center then into the mouth.

Unfortunately I only have a close up of the Long tentacle one which isn't very clear but here is a good shot of the other.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. gabbagabbawill

WOW! Now, that is a nice looking coral!

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

The reason the small ones are on the rocks is that they're attached. This is where they end up after adults spawn. Once they grow big enough, they detach themselves from the rock, and start living the way we see them, as moving corals.

6. gabbagabbawill

This makes a lot of sense. As a single coral polyp that is very small is likely to get swept away by the current or perhaps even eaten, they have a higher chance of survival until they are much larger, and can become mobile on their own.

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. gabbagabbawill

So, I looked at this picture on my computer and my iPhone and they displayed as very different colors, with the computer being more yellow and the iPhone being more Orange. Which one is it? Also, do you know the name of this one? It seems to be a Cycloseris hexagonalis... I'm very interested in getting one... it's a beautiful coral!

10. gabbagabbawill

Great link! Thanks!

11. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

No Idea why the two colors but this one is almost a metalic orange.