Is my lighing ok for a clam

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Newreef15, Dec 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dahos

dahos Feather Duster

Is 65 watt on a PC the output equivalent or the actual power consumption? I have not researched it but always assumed it was the output equiv. I suppose you could be right and it is the actual consumption. I know the PC bulb on my fuge is rated at a 75 but uses 19w or something like that.

I am sure there is a difference but like I said I have not put the research into it that you must have.

Regardless, the minor increase in electric cost is worth it for the enjoyment I get out of my little slice of the ocean.

2. Click Here!

3. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

4. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

All I know is I saw a welcomed price reduction in my power bill when I switched from 320 watts of VHO's and 384 watts on PC (704 total) to 480 watts of T5's and my tank ran a lot cooler to boot. I always figured output power = power consumption according to your electric bill, but I could be wrong.

~Will.

5. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

The bulbs are rated at consumption, not PAR.

I would never try to eep anything but derasa, gigas, or squamosa under PC light only. Those 3 clams get so big though, that it is not likely to have that kind of lighting with those clams. Not for long at least.